No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213004 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »
I received a letter today from Ian Pearson, M.P., advising that on Friday 13 February he had a "positive meeting" with David Caunt, the Leader of Dudley Council, at which they discussed the BH glass collection. Ian says that David informed him that "he [David] wants to look at opportunities to enhance the museum service in the Borough and that there may be opportunities to develop the Red House Cone site, so that more of the collection could be shown there than is currently at BH."

Ian attached a copy of a letter from David Caunt to Ian Pearson, which Ian says, "helpfully indicates that the proposed feasibility study will involve those who have contacted the Council on this matter."  Ian further states, "I will want to be sure that the current staff and facilities at Broadfield House are retained as they are at present, but am prepared to have an open mind on whether in the future something even better could be developed at the Cone which would strengthen the international reputation we have for glass."

The letter from David Caunt states,

"It has been well known for a number of years that Broadfield House is far too small and we are only able to display about 20% of the glass collection. You may remember the project to convert Himley Hall into a national glass museum that only failed as it did not stack up financially.  The Council attempted to purchase the site of Stuart Crystal, opposite the Red House Cone, but for reasons that I explained to you, we failed.

"The current suggestion is that we use the present opportunity to enhance the facilities at the Cone so that a greater percentage of the collection is on view alongside the historic cone and develop an enhanced museum service based in the heart of the historic glass quarter. I have been assured that the forthcoming feasibility study will involve all those who contacted the Council recently."

Nowhere in either letter does it indicate why the attempt to purchase the old Stuart site failed, or when this was (recently? years ago?)

Interesting that the figure quoted by David Caunt is that BH can only display 20% of the collection... yet the RHC site is smaller, so surely that means that even less than 20% can be displayed there... or am I missing something....?!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
Ah! That wonderful word, "enhancement".

To achieve an 'enhancement' of displaying more than 20% of the [current] BH collection:

1. Remove from the collection, by sale or return of loans, all items that are greater than, say, 10 inch (25 cm) size. That will get rid of much of the superb 19th century cameo carved stuff and a good number of the really interesting Stourbridge decorative pieces.

2. Use the space freed up to display smaller items from the collection. That could probably allow display of two to three times the present number of items, particularly if they are displayed "shoulder-to-shoulder".
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »
particularly if they are displayed "shoulder-to-shoulder".

Or in V&A style... "packed to the gills"

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »
Call me cynical but to me the council see this as a nice wedge from a developer for 7 luxury apartments. Or have I got it totally wrong?? probably not. I have signed the petition, I have never been there but too many things in this country are disappearing. Sue

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »
Dear John Polychronakis,

Pet Project, Definition: "a project, activity or goal pursued as a personal favorite, rather than because it is generally accepted as necessary or important."

Councillor Anne Millward's comment that objections to the Closure of Broadfield House are a "Pet Project", i.e. personal rather then necessary or important, is astonishing. I'm not sure if you fully understand the anger that this has caused. This attitude from such an important member of your council demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the passion felt worldwide about this issue.

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/4169670.Councillor_labels_renowned_museum_a__pet_project_/

I suggest that a complete retraction of the statement and a public apology from Cll Millward are in order.

Graham

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
From the Stourbridge News  link above:

'Dudley Council still maintains no decision has been taken to close the Compton Drive museum and that a feasibility study will determine whether or not its collection is to be moved to Wordsley’s Red House Glass Cone.

However the issue was listed in last night’s full council agenda, which was given the nod in a 40-1 vote, with a brief report which talks about the council’s intention to “dispose of Broadfield House and realise a capital receipt in due course - in time for the start of 2010-11 financial year when it has been assumed savings of £120,000 per annum will be achieved.” '
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »
Quote from the Petition:

Broadfield House Glass Museum celebrates the Stourbridge glass industry. The very thought of dismantling this internationally renowned museum is a monstrous crime against the generations of glassmakers, every man woman and child both past and present, who have made this area a world leader in glass making and glass decorating. If this action goes ahead it will be further proof that the cultural heritage of this country should not be left in the hands of short-sighted and parochial politicians.

Charles Hajdamach

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
Message from Cllr Dave Tyler:

From: Cllr. Dave Tyler [mailto:cllr.dave.tyler@dudley.gov.uk]
Sent: 05 March 2009 08:37
To: Barbara Beadman (E-mail); Adam Aaaronson (E-mail); Charles Hajdamach (E-mail); Brian Clarke (E-mail); Graham Cooley
Subject: Broadfield House

Good Morning everyone,

Good to see that you are all as appalled as I was about Councillor Anne Millward's disgraceful and patronising comments at the Budget Setting meeting of Dudley Council on 2nd March.

When she said that Broadfield House was a "Pet Project" and that most of the letters and complaints she had received had come from people "Who don't even live in Dudley" it confirmed to me that this Council will do all it can to reduce our Glass Heritage into part of a walk-in one hour visitor attraction, rather than a World Famous Centre of Excellence.

I know people have asked for a retraction or apology of her comments but my experience shows that will never happen and is more likely to bring about a further garbled or derisory comment dismissing complainants as people who "Do not understand the situation Council's are in".

I had an early opportunity to respond to Cllr Millward as Leader of the Liberal Democrats at the meeting and derided her for such disgraceful comments. Other Councillors also joined in my condemnation and at her summing up and responses she had the audacity, when reaching the subject of Broadfield House actually turned to me and addressed the issue and forcefully told the assembly that she stood by every word she had said. I was an incredible and patronising outburst and as far s I was concerned dismissed the whole Glass Community and our Glass heritage. This really was a low moment in the history of our Council when a leading Member launched such an attack on the very people who keep our heritage alive.

As far as your campaign is concerned you will now have the opportunity to have your say during the Feisibility Study. I am presuming there will be facilities available for the public to have their say and that is precisely what you must encourage people to do. The more responses made the more difficult it will be for their Members to dismiss the views of the public.

Looking at the Stourbridge Area Committee Minutes of 19th January 2009 I see on Page 7 that "Councillor Kettle requested that glass displays currently exhibited in the Broadfield House Glass Museum be relocated to a venue within Stourbridge, should that property be closed. Councillor Mrs Walker agreed with the suggestion made."

(Cllr Walker is a Member of the Cabinet who made the decision to save £120,000 from the Museums Budget hence the Broadfield Saga)

You should be in no doubt that certain people and parts of the community in Stourbridge have never really taken to being within Dudley Borough and would love the chance for the clocks to be turned back to allow Stourbridge to have its own Council again. This mindset is evident in the comments made about the glass collection at the Stourbridge Area Committee.

Once again can I please tell you that you have my full support following the Budget Setting Meeting where all Conservative Councillors voted in favour of saving £120,000 from the Museums Service and all that means for Broadfield House. I look forward to presenting your online and paper petitions to the next Brierley Hill Area Committee on 2nd April and will see Barbara before that date.

Good luck and keep up the fight.
Best wishes
Dave 

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »
The Stourbridge  News has given it front page news again,great report by Bev Holder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand