No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213003 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »

I've spent the evening having a few very welcome glasses of red wine (so get ready for more spelling mistakes than normal by me) and chatting on the phone, whilst giving your 'challenge' a bit of thought Graham.

I think, on balance, we've drawn the problem to the attention of as many people as possible, which in itself is great. BUT, if we are not careful there will be as many plans as people viewing this thread (let alone those who have been kind enough to put their thoughts down for us to consider - for which I thank with deep sincerity).

If we are going to get anything done I have a suspicion that there has to be work done in the background, before reporting back to everyone with a plan (or plans) to be considered by all. After all we cannot all canvas the councillors or MP's involved at this stage, because, if nothing else, it may fall on deaf ears. Best to know and understand their various positions regarding Broadfield House and its collection(s) before approaching them en mass.

At that point it may well be that people here should be asked what their expertise is and what they might consider contributing to a concerted effort to, at worst, save the collection and its archive and, at best, create a situation where the museum is elevated into a better position than it is now (well a guy can dream). In other words take on board the constructive suggestions so far, whilst also being fully aware that a healthy dose of realism is necessary to keep us on the straight and narrow (thank you, Marcus  :)).

I also have a suspicion that we will be greeted and understood better if we understand the problems involved with the particular situation and come up with practical solution(s) - even if that involves creating a business plan - possibly even with the view to creating funds that had not even been thought of by the council.

Yes, I know this would be a tall order in normal circumstances, but now? Well, that is the challenge folks, however sobering.

Kind wishes to all, Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 01:06:17 AM »
whilst also being fully aware that a healthy dose of realism is necessary to keep us on the straight and narrow (thank you, Marcus  Smiley).
Never assume that the above attitude prevents one from realising one's dreams.
I am not a natural pessimist, in fact, quite the contrary.
M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
Well said, Nigel.

While we see this as a global issue of great importance, the fact is that it is perceived by Dudley Council as a local issue. The fact remains that councillors are really only interested in votes. If I were to ring a Dudley councillor and protest, they wouldn't take much notice, because I live in London. However, our residents association of 22 members has two of our local councillors plus a head of department coming to meet with us shortly to discuss issues of importance to us locally. A little bit of lobbying goes a long way on the local level.

If anything is going to be achieved, we will need to channel our international energy through a local group. We need to find someone who lives and works within Dudley Metropolitan Borough who has the energy, tenacity and inclination to set up a campaigning organisation - perhaps "Save Broadfield House Museum" or "Save Broadfield House Collections" or similar. Does anyone who has posted here or reading this live in Dudley? I know Roger Dodsworth might be the ideal person, but there may be contractual and other reasons why he could not take on the role, and it may be better for the campaign to be run from outside the museum.

Graham would be the ideal person, but I don't think you live within the borough, do you?

As soon as that body exists, approaches to councillors can begin and they will start taking the issue seriously. Whatever they may say, they are not going to pay attention to letters from glass collectors all over the world.

The only way to succeed is to campaign locally.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »
set up a campaigning organisation - perhaps "Save Broadfield House Museum" or "Save Broadfield House Collections"

Once the local organisation is set up, it will not be difficult to persuade other non-local organisations, such as CGS, Glass Association, GMB, and myriad collectors groups and other museums to become affiliate members, which will add wider support to the "local" campaign. This in turn will help to encourage local grass-roots support because Dudley residents will gain a different perspective on how their local issues are perceived internationally.

It is just a question of channelling the energy! >:D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
Public Meeting Tonight

There is a public meeting of the select committee for regeneration at The Dudley Council House at 6pm in committee room 2 to discuss Broadfield House.

If you live in the area and you care about our heritage please go to the meeting and say what you feel.

I spoke to the local newspaper today. I impressed upon the reporter the local, national and international importance of the collection. I pointed out that if there is a move, a world class collection needs a new world class facility within which it can expand. I also expressed the concern of the whole glass collecting community that the council may not understand the importance of the collection and the decisions they are making.

To contact Dudley councillors see: http://councillors.dudley.gov.uk/

From Brian Clarke, Chairman of the Glass Association

Brian Clarke Chairman of the Glass Association has written to David Caunt, The Leader of Dudley Council, this is what he said:

Dear David

News has come out, that Dudley Council is considering the closure of Broadfield House, with an envisaged move of all the glass collections and facilities to the Red House Cone site, as from March 2010.

This is just an initial query, to ascertain the true intent of the council.

Along with The Glass Circle and The Friends of Broadfield House, we have an enormous interest in ensuring that if there is to be a move ( we are aware that Broadfield House, though having “a name” in the glass world, is not sacrosanct – a better facility could easily be envisaged ),the move should be a step up and not down. Our concerns are that as a world class facility, the collections should remain on view, those in store at Broadfield and Himley Hall should have room to be viewed and that the library and research facility should remain intact and accessible. It would also be desirable for a modern lecture facility to be established.

Thank you to Brian and the other Glass Association committee members.

Graham

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »

Sadly, I am unable to go to the meeting, and a seven hour round trip without the possibility of being able to make representation to the committee does not encourage me to take the time out. Indeed, Adam's points about outsiders not being given credence at such local meetings are well made. If it were possible, I most certainly would go.

Therefore, I have to content myself with adding a further point to the ones I have already made.

It occurs to me that, given the visitor numbers have increased so much over a one year period that the people who visit the museum spend money in the locality. Not all the visitors will be 'outsiders', however we do know from the media that currently people are not so disposed to go abroad for their holidays and many are considering holidaying within the UK.

Surely, if the visitor numbers are on an upward curve, now is not the time to downsize such an important museum. Instead, it seems to me, the council should be looking at this phenomena as a means of helping their electorate earn income. In other words bringing outsiders money into an area that would benefit as a whole through money spent at hotels, B&B's, eateries, etc. These in turn have to buy in supplies - and so on.

I have been visiting Broadfield House since 1987 to see the collections and to do research. When I stay, naturally I spend, but the thought of NOT being able to view the collections to the degree that is possible now would detract from the experience and certainly make me reconsider visiting so often.

Not only is this an important museum both nationally and locally, it is an important draw to help the locality cash in on the leisure industry.

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
Both Scotland and Stourbridge celebrate 400 years of glass-making in 2010. Stourbridge thus has an additional incentive to ensure the collection is well marketed for the potential of such a significant anniversary.

Offline Ettiene

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
There is also the matter of the glass studio currently occupied by Allister Malcolm. If they do move the museum will they make sure that the glass making studio is not lost. Premises are hard to find and with the running costs being so high its a wonder there are any glass blowers at all. :ac1:

Ettiene

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »
Dear All

Please see the attached press articles. The Stourbridge News articles include a poll so you can vote and add a comment (on both pages). To date the museum has had 100% support. I suggest we send these links to our friends to vote. If you have a dristribution list please send them out.

Treasured museum faces the axe
3:32pm Wednesday 14th January 2009
http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/4047034.Treasured_museum_faces_the_axe/

Councillor vows to save museum
12:52pm Thursday 15th January 2009
http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/search/4049883.Councillor_vows_to_save_museum/

David Blood is clearly a good person to write to; contact details below.
http://councillors.dudley.gov.uk/home/conservative/david-blood

Shock at moves to shut glass museum
http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/01/14/shock-at-moves-to-shut-glass-museum/
Wednesday 14th January 2009

Graham

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »
So they intend to close BH to save £120,000 a year. In terms of their overall budget that is small beer surely? And what about the income which the museum visitors bring into the local economy which would be lost when the museum closes. Such a short-sighted approach to budgetary control!

I have sent an email to David Blood supporting his campaign to retain BH, perhaps other board members should consider doing the same.  If support comes from a whole range of people then maybe it will help convince Dudley that this is not just a local issue but a national and international one.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand