No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213023 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2009, 11:40:18 PM »
Forgive me for pointing this out.....

15,000 visitors and an annual saving to the council of £120,000 to £140,000 - seems like a no brainer to me.

Do you really think the venue merits saving if it can only attract 400 pairs of feet a week??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2009, 05:28:31 AM »
                        PLEASE HELP BROADFELD HOUSE GLASS MUSEUM
                                                  YOUR VOICE COUNTS

I find your comment quite extraordinary coming from, I assume, a glass enthusiate. However, maybe you want to just stir things up. 

To me it is amazing that a council could envisage downsizing any museum that houses the heritage of the area it represents, however I am realistic enough to know that finances cannot be ignored, particularly in current times. Having said that, most council’s would give their eye teeth to have a museum that gives them access to a world stage, if only for the civic pride that it would engender. Unfortunately, Dudley MBC have a parochial attitude toward this world renowned museum that gives them direct access to tourism – part of their stated aim for the Stourbridge Glass Quarter. An aim that re-occurs throughout their own documents.

The question I believe you, and they, should be asking is, 'how can this resource be best used to advantage?'

Importantly, as a direct answer to your thought, the publicity that this ill advised decision has created is more than the council has given the museum over its entire life and has resulted in a huge upturn in visitor numbers, proving the point of the protestors. Visitor figures for January 2009 more than doubled the previous January, and all reports say that this upturn has been continued. 

Perhaps instead of using an uninformed publicity department to act as the interface between the council and the protestors in order to ignore them, it might be a better use of that resource to actually publicise this award winning museum that is so important to both the local heritage and to the history of glass worldwide.

It is not always the bottom line that makes a decision correct. Often it is more about how to make best use of a resource. In this case for very little money invested into the correct publicity the resource could show a much greater return.

Lastly, using your 'bottom line' logic, one could take the highly manipulated Red House Cone visitor figures and find that that site should also be closed as being uneconomic - particularly as it houses a Grade I listed building that is in dire need of repair, making the site a liability financially speaking. So, should the council be allowed to let one of only four cones left in the UK fall down?

The bottom line isn't always the way to analyse the problem IMHO.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #312 on: April 12, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »
Dear All,

Thank you Nigel! Yes, as residents of Kingswinford we value our heritage and our Stourbridge glass collection, which is the envy of the world. This is our area's identity and the whole community and surrounding areas use the facility of Broadfield House and its working glass studio.

We welcome any improvement on the facility but we require firm assurances that the Stourbridge glass collection and archives are kept together. The local area of Stourbridge and Kingswinford have requested a special meeting with Dudley Council.

No one has the right to take away the people's heritage and identity from them!

Janet

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:43 AM »
Nigel,

I was being a little bombastic!!

My comments were directed at the venue, and not the collection - which which is of international importance. My view is that a new line of attack might be more productive - surely this is central governments responsibility?

This might offer an opportunity to house the collection in a custom-built venue? Central government might wish to stimulate the economy through capital expenditure programmes - just a thought...

Perhaps if we aim high we might reach the stars??

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
  Over a month since the last message.   Does anyone know what's happening now.   I am informed the study is being run by an anti Broadfield person,  but have not heard of any "glass" person being invited to join the study.
John L. Sussex.

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2009, 10:37:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

The Save Our Glass Heritage Spring Concert was a success! We were in 3 local papers, on 2 radio stations and we had a live link on radio at the start of the night. (MPs Councillors and VIPs attended) Please check my blog
saveourglassheritage.blogspot.com

Over 150 people packed the Methodist church behind Broadfield House. The community spirit was great and everyone was singing at the end. I have made a dvd - please contact me for further details.

We are about to hear this week hopefully who the consultants will be. Once that is known steps will be taken to introduce ourselves to them and have regular meetings - so our concerns are known. The local people of Kingswinford are not happy our Glass Museum and heritage is being treated this way and we will ensure that all efforts are made to keep the dignity of the Great Stourbridge Glass Heritage!

Regards

Janet

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »
Hi Janet,

You're doing a brilliant job. The council apparent only take real notice of local opinion and you seem to be pulling the campaign together really effectively.

Well done.

Graham

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
Hi All,

Liz Lynne MEP came to Broadfield House today. To date this is the most high profile MP to come to us since January. She met Allister Malcolm our resident glass artist and was very sympathetic about what we were going through.

Councillors Dave Tyler and Lynn Bolyn accompanied the Euro MP.

Regards
Janet

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »
Dear Friends,

The consultants should be announced on Wed 3rd June at a Council meeting. We are entering a different phase now and I will try to keep you in touch.

Can I thank everyone for their concern and support so far.

We have plenty of local support and I remain positive public opinion will overturn the council's plans.

Janet

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand