No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 212978 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Broadfield House to Close. A life saver?
« Reply #370 on: September 14, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »
Can I put forward the suggestion that through the membership and contacts of this message board, we consider starting a "Save The Broadfield House Fund"?
To do this I suggest that everyone concerned should set up an annual standing order for £20 p.a paid to the Friends of Broadfield House, as a contribution/inducement/sweetner to Dudley Borough Council, to at least defray part of the £120,000 that DBC reckon the Museum is costing them?
If we got 600 contributors  ( 600 x £20),that would solve the funding problem.
If a  Registered Charity is involved a further 20% can be given from tax paid, once the Charity is identified.
Those who contribute to thsi scheme deserve the name "Guardian of The Broadfield House Museum"!
Finally, if ether is a shortfall, i think I could find a one of funding from The British Glass Educational Trust to help kickstart the first year!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
I think we'd need 6000 at £20, or 600 at £200, Stephen.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #372 on: September 14, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »
Hi Stephen,

A very good suggestion. You seem to have pre-empted something that may be in the offing, which as yet I cannot discuss. Having said that there maybe an appeal for funds imminently. This is dependant on a few things that are about  to happen.

So, I hope folks will watch this space (and others) and be ready with whatever they can afford - of course the more the better :) ;) :)

I have taken onboard the charity angle Stephen - a very good thought, thank you.

I, and a number of other people believe that if we do not make a supreme effort now and save the collections and archives for a World Class Glass Museum we may never have the opportunity again.

For example, I learnt only this weekend that Dudley had the first Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) after the Second World War. The world renowned geology collection associated with that site is languishing in a basement somewhere in Dudley Council (DMBC) awaiting the fulfilment of council's promise to rehouse it in better facilities - it was boxed up years ago, and has now been forgotten about :huh: ::) :huh:

Sobering thought, eh?

Thanks, Nigel

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #373 on: September 15, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your positive reaction to my proposal. That info about DBC's lack of stewardship about its geology collection, could be a very useful lever. If the local press were tipped off to that story, it could show that heritage and culture is not really a priority in Dudley's thinking, with grave implications for their tourism industry,
(I still find it strange there is not a decent hotel in the area!).

What we really want to do however is work WITH Dudley Borough Council to find a satisfactory solution to preserving and enhancing Broadfield House's repution as a World Class Museum of glass.
I can also ask the Glass Sellers if their Charity Fund will contribute, we have a Court meeting soon.
Perhaps a small local group of our supporters need to have a meeting with the Council Officers - who are the people who flag up funding problems and advise the councillors-to suggest a campaign to raise funds for the long term preservation. That might give us a target to aim at. We do not know if £40k or £60k new income a year will preserve the collection there.
Also if we do this, we need some assurance that they will not change their minds in a few years. The advantage of annual small donations (which are tax deductable for the donors) is that they can be cut off immediately.
Also representatives of the donors will need to be on the Governing Board of the Museum.

Perhaps we need a wealthy glass collector on board as well. As a dealer do you know any such person?
Regards, Stephen

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #374 on: September 15, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
To he best of my knowledge, the geology collection is still at Himley Hall, unless it has been removed recently (but I cannot think why that would be necessary).
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #375 on: September 15, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
Can I join the queue to pledge at least £20 to the "Save Broadfield House" Fund?  Let me know where to send my cheque.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #376 on: September 15, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »
Stephen .... that would be a chap called Pollock-Hill :o ;)

Sorry, just couldn't resist that open goal :)

The serious answer I think would be that only a guarantee of funding the museum for a given numbers of years (say 5), and for a serious amount percentage wise, would likely be looked at by DMBC. There are other ideas, which I am sure will be coming onto your radar soon Stephen.

As for the tourism aspect, I have been talking about this on a number of occasions, but I fear that housing is far more in line with current council thinking - despite the current situation. Certainly, their views about the proposed Glass Quarter, which they are about to push through, seem more aligned to reducing the industry in the locality in favour of housing.

They have also albut abandoned the glass industry, both current and historical if you read the Supplementary Planning Document concerning the Glass Quarter. This goes to a council planning meeting on the 18th September (and I believe has to have comment by interested parties by the end of the month).

Heritage is apparently not their bag, despite its obvious use as a draw for visitors, and hence helping regenerate the locality and bringing much needed income to the area.

One chairman of an association observed that it was a shame that it was Dudley that we had to deal with. They have no vision, certainly not the sort that might come from a metropolis like Liverpool or Birmingham. To be fair they also don't have the income, but, so far, they have also steadfastly avoided taking up the offer(s) of help made by the various campaign bodies - so illustrating a complete lack of vision, or inquisitiveness about what might be on offer.

Nigel

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #377 on: September 17, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
Watch this space!!
Flyboy.

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #378 on: September 23, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
Meeting for Broadfield House Glass Museum will take place

Brier School
Bromley Lane
Kingswinford

29 September at 7pm

Great coverage in Stourbridge News today -

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/4643920.The_world_is_watching__warns_Roadshow_star/

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/4643824.TV_duo_call_for_world_class_glass_museum/

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #379 on: September 23, 2009, 11:30:58 PM »
Wonderful coverage Janet, thanks for posting it.  :clap: And well done Andy and Eric for going to Dudley too!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand