No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213019 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
Wonderful news Janet, and congrats to everyone!  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #392 on: October 13, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »
Well done!

The next phase will be even more difficult. Don't lose the momentum you have gained.

My wife and I look forward to visiting Broadfield House next May.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #393 on: October 13, 2009, 03:35:38 PM »

Great minds think alike!
 here is an email I have just ent to Dudley Council!

Now we must all support Broadfield House to teh full!

Congratulations to all the Dudley Councillors who listened to the massive chorus of protestors against the closure of a much loved and valued Museum of national importance in the world of glass.
I made a suggestion that the Friends of Broadfield House be widened in membership. If 3,000 supporters each made out a standing order for £20 a year, giving them a regular newsletter by email about the Museum, new acquistions, new exhibitions and talks on glass, etc., half the costs would be covered! I had many confirmations of support, and via gopetition, this could be set up.
The Museum has the makings of being the  Best Glass Museum in Europe, and Second Best Glass Museum in the World ( after the Corning Museum of Glass- New York State- which is fabulously endowed financially!

It has the potential to put Dudley on the national map as a Must See location, and efforts should be made to ensure that the glass making heritage and tradition of the area is never forgotten. Look at Ironbridge and the Tourism that draws in. Stourbridge Glassmaking predates that by two hundred years!!
The John Ruskin Centre, ( ex Webb Corbett/Royal Doulton Crystal), The Stuart Crystal Cone, and the Broadfield House Museum have the makings of a rich
 "Glass Maker's Quarter and Trail", that many towns would give their eyeteeth to poseess.
I've known the area for over forty years, and now is the time to develop the theme, and build on those foundations for the benefit of local business and tourism, (hotels, restuarnts, gift shops, bus and coach companies.
Some of the old factories still exist ( just!), Stuart and Royal Brierley sites, and income from sale of part of the site should be invested into developing the core areas as
favourable leases to talented glassmakers who can demonstrate the ancient art of glass making.

I know as I have just opened a small glass museum here at Nazeing,Essex and am developing successfully open days, lectures, "Hot Glass Visits",etc., and
we only go back to 1928!
The Dudley/ Stourbridge area goes back to  the first glasshouses in Bagot's Park circa 1550-1585, and families like the Hennezels, Tyzacks and Titterys , Henseys and Bagots!
 In fact Dudley should proudly announced "Dudley & Stourbridge, centre of British Crystal for nearly 500 years!"
 Finally look what the BBC webpage shows for the Black Country....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/uncovered/glass.shtml
 The front of the Museum you were planning to close.
So well done again!

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #395 on: October 13, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
Broadfield House Glass Museum was today celebrating. Councillor Lowe arrived with champagne and best wishes for the staff and campaigners. We did radio interviews, newspaper interviews and then the TV Crew arrived.

Here is a picture myself and Councillor Lowe - Many thanks to him and Councillor Tyler for all their support.

A Great Day For Broadfield House Glass Museum!

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #396 on: October 14, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »
Hi All,
If Jan had not banged the drum the way she  did Broadfield house would have gone!!!!
THANK YOU JAN.
Flyboy.

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:08 PM »
Good News at last from Broadfield - Congratulations to Charles Hajdamach on the launch of his new book 20th Century British Glass. The new exhibition is great - please come along to Broadfield to see and enjoy!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #398 on: October 23, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »
Great news,have you got Charles new book at Broadfield House,gives me another reason to visit,Keith.

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
Hi Keith,

Yes book is available at the museum - price £49.50

Hope you enjoy seeing the exhibition.

JH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia