No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213008 times)

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »
Well done to every one who put so much effort into saving one of Europes most important Glass Museums. :hiclp:
Power to the people. :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk
:hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp::hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp::hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp::hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp::hiclp: :hiclp:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2009, 11:37:33 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Like you all, I am very pleased that DMBC have at last begun to come up with the goods. However, I believe that jsmeasell made a very good and timely remark,
The next phase will be even more difficult. Don't lose the momentum

Whilst the council have said that Broadfield House is not to be closed, until action has been taken that actually signifies that the museum is safe, then, I fear there is risk.

It is good that we have got this far, no, it is remarkable, and I too offer my heartfelt thanks to all those who have worked so tirelessly to achieve this fantastic result, both behind the scenes and in the foreground.

We must not let our elation cloud us to the goal that still has to be achieved, a museum that it worthy of the collections and archives that it holds, and that is truely international in the way that it is promoted and supported - especially by DMBC.

Everyone's continued support and help is needed now, just as much as during the last 10 months. WE must stay vigilant and help those who have begun the negotiations with the council.

Thanks, and kind wishes to all, Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #402 on: October 24, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
I'm not celebrating, at least not yet — preferring to heed James Measell's caution.   There's still a so-called "independent" report to come.

I have lived for over a third of a century in an ancient coaching town that has been treated with contempt by local authorities, first by Wolverton Urban District Council, then by Milton Keynes Council.   Along with others, I am constantly on guard to protect our historic buildings, our mediaeval walls, our street furniture, our open spaces where Wesley preached and Churchill relaxed, and more.   Sometimes you have to move fast — only four years ago I stood in the way of a contracter with drill in hand attempting to install a plastic meter box on the front of a listed building, and was stuck there for three hours!   Hence my caution.

... and if the whole Broadfield House threat was a cleverly planned diversion to distract attention from the closure of the International Glass Centre at Dudley College, then it has been a great success for Dudley Council.

Bernard Cavalot

I see that I've overlapped with Nigel — I will leave it as there is no harm in making a good point twice!
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #403 on: October 24, 2009, 10:13:22 AM »
Yes, thank you Nigel for your comments. The risk is still out there and now the emphasis of the campaign has changed - the campaign begins for a museum of International standing worthy of the hot glass studio, collections and archives it deserves and all in the area where we have 400 years of glassmaking heritage!

Please help us achieve this worthy cause.

JH

Offline Angela B

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Author & Researcher
    • glass (all) cats (all) bridge
    • New Zealand and UK
    • The Glass Encyclopedia
« Reply #404 on: October 24, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
I am so happy that the threat to close Broadfield House has ended. Like everyone above has said, now the real work begins - to make the future absolutely secure.
But lets take the time to celebrate - everyone who has helped should give themselves a pat on the back. We did well - congratulations to all of you.
 :dance: :cheers: :girlcheer:
Angela
Bimini Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1090649789
Pirelli Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1484086309
New Zealand Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT0ND3Q
London Lampworkers book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHRQS9W
Bagley Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1544083882
Children's book about cats - https://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/B08CD46QY2

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #405 on: October 24, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »
I find it amazing,and pleasing,that so many of you from so far away care so much,it's such a shame that the local population have no idea where or what Broadfield House is,as a local thankyou,Keith.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #406 on: October 24, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
Trust me, if I'm ever even moderately close, I shall visit the museum (and the red cone, 'cuz I like the name).

Carolyn

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #407 on: October 24, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »
I agree with the recent comments of Nigel, Bernard and Janet. This is not yet a definite saving of Broadfield House, or the Glass of the Museum, in any truly practical sense - only a stated intention from councillors. If the campaign is not followed up in whatever way is required for the next stages, then who knows what will happen following future council (and even main government) elections?

Bernard commented on the heritage of his locality and the effort he makes to protect that heritage. I do not have the same sort of drive as Bernard, but these days I do feel saddened that a town near me (High Wycombe) now has virtually no recognition of its heritage as one of the primary furniture centres for many centuries - back to the times of lone bodgers working in the local beechwoods. The world-famous "Windsor Chair", beloved of many antique wood furniture buffs, is only generally known in High Wycombe if visitors happen to search out the tiny museum in which there is an extremely limited display of the woodworking past.

If the Dudley Borough glass heritage does end up going the same way as High Wycombe's woodworking past, it will be an even bigger loss to the country as a whole.
KevinH

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Broadfield House NOT to Close
« Reply #408 on: October 26, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
Perhaps we should now rename our campaign? Certainly we must refocus it!
I was up at Stourbridge/ Dudley/Kingswinford on Saturday for the launch of Charles Hajdemach's most excellent and erudite book, "20th Century British Glass" and The Glass Association Meeting had I believe a record turnout(over 70 present,  with many names from this thread) to cheer the announcement, that the closure notice had been withdrawn and staff were no longer on notice for April 2010.
It is a bit ironical to see the Brown Tourist signs proudly announcing "Glass Quarter"when so little remains!
But the important thing is that it does still remain....and we now need to enter the next phase, so aptly put by Jonathan Glancey writing in The Independant back in 1994, just prior to the opening of The National Glass Centre in Sunderland (which sadly continues to lose money!) "When old English industries decline and fall, the towns that bore them turn first to the three D's Drink, debt and depression, then to heritage trails and shopping malls (think the Merry Hill Centre close by!), and garden festivals.

"The Glass Centre is a chance to put Sunderland on the map of international excellence in design and making of glass, from artworks to architecture".  http://www.nationalglasscentre.com/.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the financing....

"Since the centre opened it has failed to meet targets on visitor numbers.[2] Visitor numbers of 100,000 per year were some way short of the target of 250,000 visitors per year.[4][5] The centre receives regular funding from the Arts Council England - including one of £700,000 - prompting a National Audit Office report to judge that it was "over-funded".[2] Despite this, the site continues to receive a quarter of a million pound grant annually by the Arts Council and the City Council[2] and in 2002 was losing £100,000 per year.[4] The problems of low attendance and overly optimistic income generation the Centre experienced have been shared by other lottery funded cultural attractions in the North East such at the Arc Centre in Stockton (which went into liquidation in 2003) and nearby Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art".

We have won the first battle, but the task ahead is immense, but not impossible. We must act while the  sites of the famous Heritage are still visible and 1612- 2012,  400 years of handmaking in the area must be the theme, and we must aim to compete with Ironbridge. In 1998/9 it had 2.5m visitors bringing in £76m!

One of the things that needs to be done is to attract glass artists from across the country to come and set up studios there at attractive rents and rates, in the old sites and strive towards creating a World Heritage site of Glass making.  This is where, inmho, The National Glass Centre did not succeeed fully. For instance the old glass making tradition of Hartley Wood Glass Makers, making stained window glass in the original way, that was there, is now in a steel shed in Alvechurch near Redditch, called English Antique Glass!

DBC needs vision, courage and deep pockets, and all the support it can get from glass mad fanatics like us to create a future World Heritage site capable of employing thousands, not hundreds! There is not even a decent hotel in the close vicinity, and the only conference area for the Glass Association AGM was the bonded warehouse alongside a neglected canal!
But as  Ralph Waldo Emerson said "build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door!", and
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!"   

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #409 on: November 27, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Brilliant comments - but now lets see what we can do!

Local Conservative Cllrs have put this in their leaflets and posted them through Kingswinford resident houses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand