No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213619 times)

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #420 on: December 11, 2009, 01:54:49 AM »
Yelooc,

If I may lead from your post?.......

Some months ago myself, Andy McConnell and Will Farmer presented a proposal to the consultants at a meeting at BH organised by the Friends, it outlined a fundraising plan to develop an alternative business plan for a more extensive "World Class" museum. The plan needed seed funding by the Friends, GA and GC.

With all due respect to the FBH comittee, it is this approach that needs to be persued with regard to the future of Broadfield.

We live in a celebrity driven society and the media publicity generated by such high-profile views is surely the way forward when it comes to a campaign to secure the heritage of British glass making.

In theory there are many GMB members that have connections to so-called celebrity antiques prersenters, and it shouldn't be that difficult to bring the plight of the  BHGM to the attention of the genral public. Applying the old 6 degrees of seperation hypothesis, it shouldn't take too much effort to get Eric Knowles on the One Show and put the national spotlight on this issue.

I might be being a liitle overdramatic here, but (to paraphrase William Wallace - via Sugar-Tits Gibson):

"I am Thomas Woodall and before me I see a whole army my countrymen here to battle the Dudley County Council. Ay, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives.... but they'll never take our Glassmaking!!

Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #421 on: December 11, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
So, in summary, the campaigne has no money.....

This is not totally my understanding of the situation.

As I understand it, benefactors have been found; however, in the recent talks between the council and representatives of the campaign, rather than DMBC councillors and officers present respecting the anonymity of the these benefactors there was baiting and only interest in the amount of money on offer.

There was also championing of the RHC site, as well as one particular officer saying that putting the museum into a trust was not an option. When challenged he could not substantiate his statement, other to say that it was his opinion.

So, in short, we are up against intransigence and bias, with a total lack of empirical information or research to back up thoughts and statements.

It seems to me that no benefactor is going to be prepared to write a blank cheque without knowing what it is for, or indeed whether the proposed alternative is an acceptable proposition through having had a successful negotiation to which both parties can subscribe.

Surely, rather than the myopic vision that DMBC exhibits, they should be investigating these offers with an open mind within meaningful talks. In other words, if money from a benefactor is on offer they should be wooed and not shouted at. Politeness costs nothing, moreover it can achieve much.

The Shorter Oxford Dictionary definition of ‘negotiation’ is:

“To confer (with another) for the purpose of arranging some matter by mutual agreement; to discuss a matter with a view to settlement or compromise…….”

So how about it DMBC, do you want to make a World Class Glass Museum – or just pay lip service and go off and do your own thing?

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #422 on: December 11, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »
Not being very good at writing letters and after reading the suggestion that getting  celeb's involved might help,how about Dr Carl Chinn,I know he's a Brummie but he's also an historian, he writes in the local papers and is on local radio,if someone with better literary skills than mine could contact him it might be a start,found this email on a site about him....carl.chin (AT) bbc.co.uk     

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »
I think the collection has become an embarrassment to Dudley mbc,They most certainly dont know the potential of what they have and what could be achieved with it and  neither do they want to listen to the majority!! I know who I wont be voting for!
Flyboy90.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #424 on: December 13, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
                            SAVE BROADFIELD HOUSE GLASS COLLECTIONS
                                                             YOUR VOICE COUNTS

Yelooc said:

So, perhaps it is worth restating the very first post in this thread from Jan 10th 2009:

"Dear All,

I am reliably informed that Broadfield House Glass Museum is to close in March 2010. I think that this is a tragedy. In my opinion Broadfield House is a national treasure.

I wonder; what can we do?"

How right he is to say this, given the link that the council has sent out to interested parties. As a result one is confronted with the statement below - taken directly from the Dudley website:

The cabinet noted the findings of the first stage of the study and asked the consultants to progress to Stage 2 which will develop more detailed proposals and costings for Option B of their report.

Option B asks the consultants to look at the practicalities of bringing the boroughs glass heritage services together onto one site at the cone and developing the former Stuart Crystal shop and associated buildings, which have been purchased by Dudley Council, subject to contract. It will cover such topics as physical/spatial designs, interpretation plans, audience development and marketing strategy, estimated costings and funding strategy, implementation programme and priorities.

See this link for more information and their links to more details:

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/welcome/news-in-dudley/december-2009/feasibilit
y-study-moves-forward

In other words, we've (DMBC) heard some whinging about what we planned to do, and started instigating last January, and come what may we're going ahead with our original plan!

For those not realising the point being made, the statement describes closing Broadfild House Glass Museum, moving the collections to the Red House Cone and not doing anything particular to the buildings on that site to ensure that even the collections already on show at Broadfield will still be available.

Are we any further forward? Yes, DMBC now owns the RHC site subject to contract - so they are  :'( :o :'(

Even at this late point in the proceedings it is possible that we could make a difference, BUT it means pulling together to make that difference. There are many ways to do this, but maybe, first and foremost, we have to remind them that we haven't gone away. If you have a moment write to them, look for the links to the local papers where comment can be made and generally let them know that the world IS STILL WATCHING, and are deeply concerned.

We need to be vigilant and we need them to know.

Many thanks to all, Nigel

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #425 on: December 13, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Have sent an email to Dr Carl Chinn a local historian, who writes in the local paper and is on local radio,outlining the plight of BH,will post any replies I receive,Keith.(every bit helps,I hope)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #426 on: December 13, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »
Oh, so no progress despite the campaign after all!

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #428 on: December 14, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
                             SAVE BROADFIELD HOUSE GLASS COLLECTIONS
                                                       YOUR VOICE COUNTS

Hello,

Not strictly speaking Frank. There has indeed been progress, such that DMBC felt obliged to make an ambiguous statemant that Broadfield House was reprieved. Everybody read this as saved - as they were supposed to do.

This gave the council the breather that they needed to push things through. With everyone thinking all was well, people have gone away feeling their help and their voice was no longer needed.

In the vacuum created DMBC have paid lip service to meetings with campaigners in order to say that they have consulted with interested parties. This is a classic way of manipulating guidelines that are given in good faith. Something that all of us would recognise here is the pigs-in-the-trough routine that epitomised the MP's expenses fiasco.

Here, we have the same unabashed disconcern for public attitude and feeling. Well, the MP's leaders got the message and things are going to change (maybe not as much as many would like, but at least it promises to be for the better).

Public opinion can be a great persuader :hiclp: :hiclp:

This museum's contents are unique and we must ensure that DMBC get the message. Let's go for it!! (again) :thup: :thup:

Many thanks to all for your help in the past and for your continued support, Nigel

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #429 on: December 14, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »
So what happened to the reported statement from the Council leader, having taken due consideration of public opinion - "Broadfield House will not close on my watch"?

Has she done a u-turn? Surely not! Or does she expect (for whatever reason) not to be in power after, or even before, the next elections, and already knows that the closure will conveniently happen after she has moved on and therefore her statement will remain true until that time?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand