No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House to Close  (Read 213017 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Broadfield House to Close
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
                         HELP SAVE BROADFIELD HOUSE GLASS MUSEUM
                                                        YOUR voice counts

I understand that letters to people have most effect.

I believe that a letter with the various points that could be made is also being worked on, in order to be accessed online. Please be aware that if all the letters are the same they will be counted as one letter.

Therefore, please use any information to structure your letter(s) so that they are all different.

If you can't wait, loads of things can be pulled out of this thread to help make your point.

Perhaps, try to emphasis what Adam has drawn attention to, the collections and archives at Broadfield form a major glass museum that it not only unsurpassed in this country, it is head and shoulders above the others in the breadthe and amount of its holdings in British glass - and as such is world class.

This morning has seen a lot of work in the background and things seem to be centring on the Glass Association site, which is giving both a sense of co-ordination and more clout.

As for a terrestial petition; it seems to me that, once the wording has been agreed there could be petitions placed strategically around the country - perhaps even one at Broadfield House itself?

If not possible at Broadfield, for I imagine obvious reasons, I'm sure somewhere accessible could be found locally. The online petition should ideally be co-ordinated by the Glass Association as has been said earlier. This would get to people earlier and hopefully give them easier access than at the Cambridge Glass Fair, although the petition should also be placed there for people to sign as so many attend that venue and they're all glass oriented :) :)

Again, I urge those of you who are watching this thread to take part. This is everyones site so don't feel intimidated by all these long postings - do your own bit, please. If you don't want to add to this thread the most valuable thing you could do is compose and send a letter to the most important people on Dudley council (see above). It will count for something  :) ;) :).

Joining the Friends will also help, since they are based locally.

Thank you all for taking the time to read all these postings and thank you in advance for anything that you do to help.

Kind wishes to all, Nigel

PS. Your post came just as I was about to post this David - well done, and thanks for your hard work. N.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 06:27:40 PM »
                         HELP SAVE BROADFIELD HOUSE GLASS MUSEUM
                                                     YOUR voice counts

Today has been a bit hectic :o But I believe to good effect :) ;)

The strength of feeling about this ill conceived move and willingness of people to help is amazing - thank you everyone.

Certainly one by product of this whole thing is that many, many more people are aware of the museum :hiclp: :hiclp:

The general concensus is that there should be two petitions, an online one, planned to be centred on the Glass Association site with links from wherever possible, and a physical one. It is also thought in both cases the sooner the better.

The online one is being dealt with, but it is necessary to have a number of places dotted around the country where people who wish to sign an actual document can access it. Once the format has been agreed then a copy will be made available to download by people who have agreed to take the petition. It will then be collected where possible, or sent to a central collecting place to be collated before handing in. Post will have to be registered/recorded, and ideally copies should be made prior to sending in case of accidents.

So far the following have very kindly agreed to take the petition:

Jeanette Hayhurst (West London)
Peter Layton (SE London)
Basil Loveridge (Brackley)
Al Baynham, mid20c (Reading)

I have contacted Cowdy Glass (Newent, Glos), and am awaiting a reply.

If you can have a petition at your shop or premises then please contact me, nigel at 20thcentury-glass dot com and let me know - and title it "BH Petition". We are looking to spread them across the country, so that as many people who wish to to, can sign. Thanks.

Details of where you can sign will be published once we have the petition agreed and whether signing both the online and the terrestial one could negate their worth.

Finally, I have been told twice today by different sources that letters are very important, they really do count, so please, if you have some spare time over the weekend send seperate letters to the councellors: Mr J Millar, Director of Urban Environment, Mr Duncan Lowndes, Assistant Director Culture & Leisure, Directorate of the Urban Environment Culture & Community, Councillor Karen Shakespeare - details in Graham Cooley's post above. Also the two MP's involved. Your own letter can be the same to each counsellor/MP - just as long as its not the same as someone else's.

Again, thank you all out there, Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
Yesterday (22 Jan 2009) in the House of Lords there was a debate on Tourism. The Hansard transcript is here - 11 Lords took part: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2009-01-22a.1805.1&s=museums#g1829.0 - all will be worth contacting for support for the campaign. Contacts are via their linked names in the transcript.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »
A very succinct letter is featured in Letters to the Editor, The Times, Saturday Jan 24th, by Jeanette Rasmussen Tranter. It summarises the problem very well and highlights the case, which can only be a good thing :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Patrick

• Members

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
Express and Star have coverage too, including concern expressed by Charles Hajdamach, a glass writer and a former curator of BHGM :

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/01/14/shock-at-moves-to-shut-glass-museum/
http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/01/24/council-is-accused-in-closure-row-on-museum/

But what is more interesting even is the story from last September which announced entirely different plans for the museums in Dudley - can we pick up on this and encourage Dudley they were right then and wrong now?
http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/09/14/museum-of-glass-past/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
I suspect the figures for the "feasibility study" did not add up ::)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
To all those who love glass and enjoy the pursuit of glass history:

Continue to fight the good fight for Broadfield House! Your reasoning is sound and your plans are well laid.

I will add my voice from "over the water" by writing to Council members, etc.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
  • Simon Bruntnell Freelance Photographer
    • United Kingdom
    • www.northlightphotography.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
I popped in to Broadfield on Friday when I asked if there was any petition I could sign, I was informed that Dudley council will not allow one on the premises, and the staff could not discuss the closure in a negative manner. Well done Dudley council, cultural vandalism.   >:(

Simon Bruntnell (photographer to the Poor & Infamous)

Sklounion

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
Oh well, there are obviously two sides to culture.....

Industrial heritage..... (or how the working classes struggled...)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/7848798.stm

and....
posh stuff for snobs, obviously.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/01/14/shock-at-moves-to-shut-glass-museum/
http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/01/24/council-is-accused-in-closure-row-on-museum/

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand