No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: venezia stained glass---wine goblet  (Read 1459 times)

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
venezia stained glass---wine goblet
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
latest find and looks quite special...has remants of label.....has a double headed eagle in badge...
wording.....---amentik in barockstil (volkskunst)nach einen antiken seidenstickerei gearbeitet (punto di venezialon base in gold 327/134
and a gold scissors.....the base is flat with no pontil.Stem hollow.
and suggestions pls as to who made it and age....thank u.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: venezia stained glass---wine goblet
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »
Ornamentik in barockstil (volkskunst) nach einen antiken seidenstickerei gearbeitet (punto di venezialon base in gold 327/134
and a gold scissors.....the base is flat with no pontil. Stem hollow.

At least a translation will help. "Ornamented in popular Barock style after an antique silk embroidery" tells us it is relatively recent.

"base flat" is not giving enough information. Is the foot made in a clapper or not? 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
Hi Ivo
so i  read up on the clapper---two pieces wood ...drawn foot....but then i am not sure what the foot should look like with the help of the clapper.
can u explain please how i tell the difference. here is another pic of the foot.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
the clapper results in a perfectly shaped round foot, no irregularities or pontil marks. It looks as if this item was made in a clapper. The decoration, meanwhile, may be based on "Punto di Venezia" lace work - but may not originate from there.

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:38:32 PM »
Thanks Ivo.
so the foot is beautifully finished flat with no marks...except for the numbers in gold....it has been suggest Fritz Heckert....and ideas?

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
Heckert was my first thought, but I can't seem to find a similar piece for reference at the moment. 
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:36:49 AM »
My first thought was that it looks like the work of Julius Muhlhaus or the Kamenicky Senov school (steinschonau) work.

Offline Versacrum

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:14 AM »
I think the attribution to Julius Muhlhaus is most likely.   The leaf forms and highly coloured floral motifs are characteristic and usually credited to designer Hermann Pautsch of Arnsdorf, near Haida, though I have never seen documentary evidence for this.   The floral band around the rim is also to be found on countless Muhlhaus pieces.   An enormous range of similarly decorated vessels were made into the 20's and 30's and beyond.   Re-issues of declining quality were produced certainly until the end of the 20th century- I saw some at the old Crystalex showrooms a decade ago.   Your glass looks pretty early from what I can see, though the photos aren't very clear.  It would be good to see the label clearly as it's flaring out in the CU’s.   I assume there is no perceptible mark on the base of the foot, but try holding it upside down against the daylight and twist and turn just in case the light picks up the tiniest residue or ghost of an enamelled mark- these pieces often bore a "crossed scissors" mark and model/ decor numerals eg. 327/ 120 in yellow/ gold enamelling, but they rubbed off easily.  There are many vases and bowls in this kind of décor but few wine vessels.   

Offline Versacrum

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »
Apologies to those long-gone glassmakers- what I see as an open scissors mark is surely intended to be crossed sabres, a version of the Meissen china mark, but done in haste...

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
Thank you so much to all for the help. I have just sold the drinking glass to an Italian dealer from Rome. He suggested 1920 and perhaps Haida.
regards
Norman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand