No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson Bowl No. 535 - Purple Cloud Glass.  (Read 4096 times)

Pinkspoons

Davidson Bowl No. 535 - Purple Cloud Glass.
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:37:56 PM »
Hi.

I recently (about two hours ago) acquired a Davidson 535 purple cloud glass bowl in a small charity shop buried under a pile of other bowls, and according to cloudglass.com there are only three known ones in existence - but this was posted on the site two years ago - was just wondering if this was still the case?

There are two small chips to the inner rim, but still a cracking buy (not literally) for £1, I thought.  :D

It pays to rummage!

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:16:26 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons

Firstly the cloudglass site says that there were 2 other ones known to them. This to a certain extent might be considered as scarce but should not be taken as a substantiated figure representing the total as at one time it had not been confirmed that these were Davidsons cloud glass of a later period. The first confirmation of that I think actually came ftrom the site itself.
I have sold 2 more of these in the past 3 years and in fact seen another 3 on Ebay. One of the ones on Ebay did not even attract one single bid.and if I remember correctly the other 2 sold very poorly.
 So yes very scarce in my opinion but so unlike other Davidsons cloud glass pieces as to be quite incompatible regarding display. Not a popular item.
. Who knows one day there might be more completists about that might subsequently push the price up. The figure you paid was peanuts so there shouldn'y be a problem with the price dropping.
Do you actually like it ???

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Pinkspoons

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.

To be honest, I don't really like it - as you say, it doesn't display well. It's my father that collects pressed glass and I bought it for his collection.

My collection is built up of Scandinavian, mostly.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 06:45:07 AM »
Quote from: "Gareth"
... completists ...

I like it, Gareth, I've not met the word before.

It is strange, Pinkspoons, why some glass sells and other glass doesn't.   I think with the 535 bowl it is probably just too fussy a design for modern tastes.   But with much quite beautiful and interesting glass there is no obvious explanation.

If everyone took a sensible approach to collecting, choosing a currently unpopular field that could be bought at well below its intrinsic value, it would do much to create a more rational marketplace.   But wouldn't it be boring.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:05:20 AM »
I would love to see a picture of the bowl in question here!  :shock:

Leni
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 08:41:06 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
I would love to see a picture of the bowl in question here!

See http://www.cloudglass.com

Then follow the links:- Cloud Glass Web Site — Davidson Cloud Glass — Other Styles.   Then scroll down to pattern 535.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 08:17:23 PM »
I've an amber bowl in a very similar style without the stars... it's a kinda of stippled random pattern.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Davidson Bowl No. 535 - Purple Cloud Glass.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »
Nic

Do you still have pics of this item please?   :) :)
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
You're in luck - they survived the great hard drive crash of 2007.  ;D

I'm glad to say that my photography skills have improved somewhat over the years...  :-[

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
I have this bowl in black and it looks wonderful.I display it on a higher shelf so I can get a good look at the pattern as the inside is plain.I am happy with Davidsons 1960s.I only paid £5 for mine from an antique centre not something I would usually buy but I'm glad that I did. Kay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand