No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: what's it used for?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
what's it used for?
« on: September 24, 2005, 07:32:48 PM »
well it stands 6.25" high, it is solid glass, the top is highly polished where the pontil would have been and the base has been flattened on a marver or other flat suface, the squashed cane's are set on a green mottled ground, my 1st thought was a wig stand but i think it's to small for that

click on image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
what's it used for?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 12:17:31 AM »
Could it be a slicker stone used to smooth out linen - they sometimes added decoration to the base area used for smoothing out - it's a wild guess but I would say that the tall part is a handle of some sort and the flat rounded bottom has some function to do with smoothing out, I am pretty sure it is not simply an odd looking paperweight - age I don't know but the decoration to the base has canes and green mottling? that makes it a paperweight object - it looks Italian but I am not so sure that would fit in with the function or the age, maybe French?

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
what's it used for?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 08:38:09 PM »
For crushing sugar or may be reducing something similar to a powder???

Anne E.B. :?
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand