No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: just for Leni my chinese murrine faces PW  (Read 3761 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
just for Leni my chinese murrine faces PW
« on: September 11, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »
well it's got more than faces, it has some qiute well made canes, it  measures 2" high and 2" across

click on image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 07:06:25 PM »
Thanks Ray, The faces seem to have come from the same stable!!
Ruth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 08:04:29 PM »
I agree with Adam (David555) on the Murano board that this - and the vase - isn't Chinese!  I still say the 'round eyes' are a give-away   :shock:  :roll:

Actually, there is a bit of a resemblance to what Chris and Lissa Juedemann  (Glass Kitchen) are doing in the US!  There are many problems with the process, some of which are particularly apparent in Ray's weight!  

In spite of that, I really like it, Ray!  It's quirky and fun   :D

Leni
Leni

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 08:10:18 PM »
I agree the Murrines are very like the vase in question

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2454.0.html

But are you sure your paperweight is from China, it looks like a scramble paperweight with Murrines from Murano (date not known to me) - I know it has that frosted ground base but some Italian companies have turned out weights like that - I have Murano ones with rough matt bases, they have the sticker

The scrambled ruffle/flower canes look so Italian to me - but if China is turning out lovely paperweights like these, I'd buy them - I see 100s every day and not one ever like this

Whatever, I'm probably wrong as usual :cry:

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 08:40:59 PM »
defo not murano due to the colours in the cane's they are so watery
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 06:59:17 PM »
Hi folks,

[This is a copy of a reply I have posted to Ruth's original query in the Murano board - message Sep 10 2005, "Italian not Murano" http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2454.0.html]

In connection with another task, I suddenly realised that I had photos of a plate with murrine faces ... and they are the same as in Ruth's vase and Ray's paperweight.

Full view of plate: http://tinypic.com/dyk9s1.jpg

Part of plate: http://tinypic.com/dykajd.jpg

Please note that the basic glass in the plate is clear, but photographing it directly over a sheet of paper and using flash caused a blue tint!

In Ray's weight, many of the face canes show a "bubbly / blurred" appearance and exactly the same effect can be seen in the part view image of the plate.

The owner of the plate has given the following information: It was purchased in a "St Louis shop" in Paris around 1995 to 1997, where the shop owner said it was from the St Louis factory. Doubts about this were raised and later research pointed towards India. The owner also has beads with very similar faces purchased in Delhi, where the bead shop owner said that some general millefiori canes used in Indian work are "copies" of Murano-style ones.

If the details about the Indian work are correct, it is not surprising that Ray's weight may seem to have "Murano" canes as well as these particular murrine faces.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:09:26 PM »
well done sherlock, it's funny because i got this weight off ebay France last year
cheers Ray

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 08:00:45 PM »
Yes, well done and thanks!
Ruth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia