No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BOFFO............  (Read 9381 times)

Anonymous

BOFFO............
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 10:03:49 PM »
:D:D:D

Hello Patrick,
Have you any idea when he left Whitefriars and went to Malta?
Lesley Jackson's book says that the Boffos (father and son) went with Michael Harris, but the Mdina website has them going over after Michael Harris left.
 :?:?:? This has been bothering me for some time now!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
BOFFO............
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 10:10:06 PM »
:shock: Sorry, that was me, not logged in. I didn't check. (Excuse:- Michael's home and has been "doing" things with the computer.) I normally manage to be logged in automatically.

(Just in case somebody else came in inbetween, my guess was 444.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Glassyone

• Members
BOFFO............
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 06:01:21 AM »
Ruth

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
BOFFO............
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 10:02:42 AM »

xxx!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
BOFFO............
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 10:08:18 AM »
Hmm...don't know.  Very few, judging by how often they turn up!

Erm....   376 ?
I am not a man

patrick Hogan...

BOFFO............
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 10:08:27 AM »
Hi SUE.......   Have a look at http://www.historyofglass.org.uk/glassnews/glass%20news13b.htm
 You will have to scrool down till you get to " A brief history of M'dina"  . Will let you know later when his workbook finished.... Maybe that is when he left Whitefriars.........   Regards Patrick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
BOFFO............
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 11:26:23 AM »
:D:D:D
Thanks very much indeed Patrick! I still don't know the exact dates, but this makes it clear that the Boffos' presence was a Harris initiative anyway.
I LOVE the penguin, and I WANT one!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Patrick Hogan

BOFFO............
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 06:02:02 PM »
Hi, I have just posted this on Whitefriars.com

" Hi All, Steve Leslie is the WINNER !!!!!!   " Who is Boffo" was his comment and   650 was his estimate of the number made. Here is the number made....... But just one final twist.
 If Brian had reduced his estimate of 11,826 by 4039 he would have triumphed. Do the maths and you will have the ANSWER...  In 30mins I will post the totals for each of the 6 colours. I can reveal that Golden Amber is the rarest followed by Twighlight,    Flint,    Ruby,   Ocean Green   and finally Arctic Blue. The first ones made ( Qty. 41) were on Monday W/E 9.1.60 and the last batch (Qty. 102) on Friday 24.11.62 .
 I would like to add that I would have been way out with my estimate, even Ray Annenburg (Ex. Whitefriars Gaffer) only guessed half the amount Boffo made. Ray pointed out to me that Boffo was the "Gaffer" of a team known as a "Chair".  He would have had a " Footmaker" who gathers the glass.  A " Servitor" who does the initial shape and then passes the iron to Boffo, who works his magic !!....... and a "Boy who takes the finished piece to the Lehr. See http://www.whitefriars.com/my_photo.php?Id=2702 for a typical week.
 The total made however was probably solely due to the demand from the retail outlets selling at the time. Perhaps the fact that his final batch was made at the end of 1962 and his final workbook entry was end of May 1964 probably means that the Whitefriars sales Team did a good job selling to the shops but the public demand was not there. I think the retail price was quite high.  
 Regards Patrick...   Ps. Get those calculators out and find the total."

PLEASE NOTE THE WINNER HERE IS xxxxx     RUTH BRADWELL    xxxxxxx   for a while I thaught Frank was going to be the winner.....

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
BOFFO............
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 06:19:57 PM »
Well done Ruth :P  and thank you Patrick for a bit of fun :lol:

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Patrick Hogan....

BOFFO............
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »
Hi Guys, Sorry I did not realize you are an hour  behind BST....   Regars Patrick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand