No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New website on Molineaux & Webb  (Read 12245 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: New website on Molineaux & Webb
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »
Hi  Neil

Well done on your site

I have been collecting clear pressed glass for a number of years on my travels, I have up to about a 100 pieces by various makers including a few pieces by Molineaux, Webb & Co, all of mine is kept in my garden shed or loft , I still use a lot of mine around Christmas and then put back into storage.

I will post a few pictures of the items I have found to see if they are of any use for you excellent site, I also have quite a few items by Percival, Vickers and Co of Manchester

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »
Neil hopes these may be of interest

Molineaux1

A large heavy bowl with a faint date lozenge which looks like 13th Jan 1868, weight 2280 gm with a diameter of 12.25"

Molineaux2

A large heavy bowl with a date lozenge again not easy to read but looks like 2nd Jan 1882 , although the parcel number is a 2 but in book should be 1, weight a heavy 2230 gm with a diameter of 12"

Molineaux3

A medium size bowl with RD No 143153 28th Jan 1890, weight 1098 gm with a diameter of 9.75"

Molineaux4

Comport with a date lozenge on base but very faint could be for 1st May 1865, weight 750 gm and 6" in height, I did wonder if it could be a John Derbyshire but thought more likely Molineaux

Roy

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »
Hi Roy,

Thanks for those. I'll add a couple of your images to my site if that is ok. You are spot on with all the registration dates. The second one belongs to the "Duchess" set I believe. The last one is Molineaux and Webb - I have an image from a pattern book which shows that same pattern dated to 1st May 1865.

Neil

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
Hi Neil

Please feel free to use any pictures , if you need further pictures please let me know, I will also check to see if I have any other items   

Roy

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 08:43:27 AM »
Great site, very well done.  You've compiled an amazing amount of information.  Thanks for posting a link to it.

I'm curious about the comport with the red fringe.  Is that glass that's been added to a pressed piece?

Some of the engraving looks outstanding!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
Hi Kristi,

In Roger Dodsworth's article in the Glass Circle he describes it as "frosted comport with a ruby rim and an engraved band of ornament". The one in the photograph is currently available for viewing at the Manchester Art Gallery Ancoats glass exhibition. It was bought by the Gallery in 1977 at auction from Pamela Webb, which made me think it was a one off piece, as it had been in the family for 112 years. However it also exists in the pattern book so maybe there are other examples. Did glass firms log one off pieces to their pattern books? I don't know...

Neil

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »
I have over the last few years seen a few comports with ruby rims, most  likely to have been Molineaux, although I did not stud them that closely as the price asked seems to be a lot more than just the normal comport

Roy

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
...   Did glass firms log one off pieces to their pattern books?   ...

Neil — Yes, sometimes they did.   And sometimes they didn't.   And they put anything else in them that would be useful if available on the factory floor.   There were no rules, despite modern historians' attempts to create them in retrospect.   The Walsh pattern books, reprinted in Reynolds, contain patterns that were never made, sizes that were never made, a pressed glass flower holder made by Davidson, and boxes for sets of six made by Walsh's box supplier.   Nor were they exhaustively comprehensive.   So, for example, a blank would be made to one pattern in the book, then cut to a different pattern.

The same applies to trade catalogues.   Barbara Yates (GA Journal #2) discovered that the Manchester factories topped up gaps in their trade catalogues with offerings from their neighbours.   Keeping the business in Manchester benefited them all in the long term.   So it is quite possible that the paperweight you are looking at in your M&W catalogue could have been made by Derbyshire, and the decanter by Percival Vickers.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:05:36 PM »
Neil — See here for an unusual example of Georgian repro by M&W.

Let me know if you want ex-camera.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »
Molineaux castles and much more
Please whatever Kevin it was whom I did outbid in this case, would you please mail me
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand