No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any ideas on the maker of this duck. = Mdina Glass  (Read 4840 times)

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
Any ideas on the maker of this duck. = Mdina Glass
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:11:53 PM »
Any help in identifying the maker of this duck would be very much appreciated. It stands approximately 6 inches high. The colours remind me of Mdina glass?

Regards
Trudy

Mod: The images from this thread have been deleted by Tinypics. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them.

To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:38:19 PM »
Looks Mdina or early isle of Wight to me
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
Thank you very much Paul, Tigerchips for your helpful comments.  I have never come across any ducks like this being sold as Mdina or IOW but having looked closely at the colours in the duck and comparing them to Mdina pieces I have, they do seem to match the yellows, blues etc but who knows?  May be it was an experimental piece by somebody.

Regards

Trudy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello, I'm back again. Was whisked off on holiday!

Something about the way the colours are put together scream Mtarfa to me.
Is there any irridesence?
Is that a bit of whitish colour near the beak?
Is the blue, as it looks, more inky than turquoisey blue?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 03:30:57 PM »
Hello Sue

Hope you had a nice time.

There is no iridescence in the duck, some of the colours have an opaque look to them. The white near the beak is a creamy opaque white. There are two blue colours in the duck, a small area of inky blue but mainly turquoise blue with yellow splashes identical to the colours found in some of my Mdina pieces.  I have had a close look at the colours and can match all of them roughly to those found in Mdina pieces I have - the brownie reds, browns, blues, yellows and opaque cream colours. I have added some more pictures to try and show the colours a bit more.

Your help is very much appreciated Sue - many thanks.

http://tinypic.com/fxuvj9.jpg
http://tinypic.com/fxuvs2.jpg
http://tinypic.com/fxux48.jpg
http://tinypic.com/fxux6p.jpg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:59:17 AM »
The extra pictures of this duck just seem to confirm my suspicions about Mtarfa. It's in a colourway that I thought was Mdina for quite some time, and have been trying to collect, because I like it so much, but recent purchases have positively id'd it as Mtarfa. I still think it's wonderful and am still collecting it.

I think it does have slight irridesence, but it's inside the glass, under the final casing, the silvery bluey yellowy bits.

I'm really not into ducks, but I would make an exception for this one - it is gorgeous! Lucky you! :mr green:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »
Hello Sue

Thank you very much for your helpful information it is very much appreciated  :)

Kind Regards
Trudy

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 08:09:04 AM »
I posted quite a few pictures of the duck to the Mdina Glass factory in Malta and asked if there was any possibility the Duck could be Mdina Glass. A few days later I received a reply from Joseph Said's daughter saying it was definitely made by Mdina when Boffo was there in the 70s.  I asked if she could let me know who had confirmed this, her reply was that she had asked the Director Joseph Said (Glassmaker) who has been at the factory since the begining. One to treasure  :lol: Thanks again to  Sue  for your help, I have copied the replies from the Mdina factory below.

Regards

Trudy

Hello

I am trying to establish the maker of a duck I have. I have posted the pictures on this site Glass Club Message Board it has been suggested it may be Mdina,or that may be Boffo could have had something to do with it,another suggestion is it is made by Mtarfa.I would be very grateful if you are able to help me establish who made it.I have attached some pictures showing the duck thank you.

Kind Regards
Trudy

good morning,
                    sorry fot the delay in answering you but i had to
confirm with the director about the pictures - the duck was infact produced
by mdina glass when Boffo was here  back in the early 70's -

hope this answers you question

regards
Nevise Said
Sales & Export Manager

Mdina Glass Ltd
Crafts Village