No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Important-would like some help ASAP on this piece  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Missc

• Members
Important-would like some help ASAP on this piece
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:49:35 AM »
Ok everyone, I have had to ban myself from buying any more glass for a while because I can't stop. So it's too addictive and I am too compulsive about buying without studying it first.

I was on the Internet yesterday for hours looking at a lot of things including glass. I swear I saw this vase and I could almost swear it was called "La Murrina" but I COULD have been dreaming it for all I know. Really, I am completely stumped and I think I really dreamed it. I spent at least 5 hours today looking for it again, searching my history to no avail. So, if anyone could help me ID this, it would be a real help.

I've got one more "bid" on an item that I totally intend not to get because I will be at work. So this is the very, very last piece for a long while. My sister stopped getting glass too as she spent around $3K on hers (she uses my account)!!

Here is the ebay number for it. I asked for permission to use the photos but haven't gotten an answer yet.

ITEM #250350637673

Thanks to anyone who can help me. Even if it is a cheap Chinese piece, it is the LAST one! I got three pieces in one day and that is just too much! I cannot stop myself!
Lisa

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Important-would like some help ASAP on this piece
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »
My personal rule of thumb for buying Murano is: if I don't recognize it and the seller doesn't know who made it, I won't pay much (especially if a seller has feedback less than 99.8%). All of my mistake buys have been when I went against this rule.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:16:21 AM »
Unfortunately I do believe this is a recent Chinese vase. We all make buying mistakes! Anita's rules sound like a good idea. If needed, you could always make your rule more specific (for example, don't spend more than $30 on something unless you KNOW it's something good). Sorry it didn't work out for you! I know the urge to buy can be feverish...
Shannon

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:22:55 PM »
yep, probably is Chinese or similar origin but when it came, first it is VERY large which means I can use it by a door for umbrellas or things like that. Secondly, it isn't as bad as I thought (thankfully). It's decent for what it is. My thinking is that it is a generic home decorator piece, something you would find at Pier One or something, probably around $69 and so I paid more (boo on me) and again, need to stop and research.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand