No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Warmbrunn, Silesia - Fritz Heckert  (Read 8123 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Warmbrunn, Silesia - Fritz Heckert
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:45:04 AM »
I have just read that the Fritz Heckert glassworks were located in Warmbrunn, Silesia. I often see FH glass classified as Bohemian. I read a little about Silesia and saw that most of its region now lies in poland, while only a small part is in the Czech Republic. Does anyone know exactly where Warmbrunn is? I could not find it on a map. Is it in the part that is now Poland or the part that is the Czech Republic. I am trying to figure out the logic of the glass being called Bohemian.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Sklounion

Re: Warmbrunn, Silesia - Fritz Heckert
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:10:54 AM »
Hi, Warmbrunn (also known as Bad Warmbrunn) is now known as Cieplice Slaskie Zdroja, a suburb of Jelenia Gora and, like Szklarska Poreba (the site of Huta Jozefina), lies minutes to the north-east of Jablonec nad Nisou. It is on the Polish side of the border. Why Bohemia? Simply the redrawing of maps after wars. Until 1938, Warmbrunn lay within Czechoslovakian borders as re-drawn after WWI. It was handed to Poland after the end of WWII, as was much of what was termed Sub-carpathian Russia, which also fell within the territory of the first Czechoslovakian Republic.

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Place:Lower_Silesia,_Poland

Click on map then enlarge....

Marcus

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:43:20 AM »
Marcus, thank you for helping to clear the confusion. I found Cieplice Slaskie Zdroj on the map and see how a shift in the border would put the city in Bohemia. It makes sense now.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
Now I'm confused

I always though Fritz Heckert was in Petersdorf which is indeed in Bavaria -and, I think, technicaly not in Bohemia even pre WW1

cheers

Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:23:41 PM »
I checked a little deeper and found there are inconsistencies in things written about FH on the internet -- not only in the location, but in the year Heckert died. I found a paragraph in Campbell's The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Art that places FH in Petersdorf when it opened in 1966. Petersdorf is now Pieszkow, Poland, from what is written. (I would give the link, but it carries the reader to the wrong place in the online book excerpt.) Figuring these things out is like working a fluid puzzle. Petersdorf is given in different places as being German or Silesian. That probably has to do with border shifts in the evolution of the area.

So, Petersdorf may be right. I will have to do more digging. Maybe there is someone on the group who knows if both Petersdorf and Warmbrunn are correct.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »
Pieszków, Poland is the correct location.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »
I think, well according to Truitt and Truitt, Heckert started off in Warmbrunn and bought its glass in from Josephinenhutte. "In 1923, it merged with Josephinenhutte and was renamed Jo-He-Ke, Petersdorf. Two years later Josephinenhutte completely absorbed the firm and incorporated the workers and buildings into its owm operations." Petersdorf/Pieszków is was in Silesia.
 And it all ties in with
Hi, Warmbrunn (also known as Bad Warmbrunn) is now known as Cieplice Slaskie Zdroja, a suburb of Jelenia Gora and, like Szklarska Poreba (the site of Huta Jozefina),

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
Very well put together, Christine. From the pieces I've been able to put together, the Truitt description seems to be the best fit. It is perhaps the work that great-glass.co.uk used as its reference when placing FH in Warmbrunn. It would explain why FH glass is considered Bohemian, considering the change in the border that Marcus discussed. Thanks!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 12:30:13 AM »
Jo-He-Ky - Josephinenhütte-Heckert-Kynast, Kristallglas-werke, Akt.-Ges., in Petersdorf im Riesengebirge , Prov. Schlesien (Preußen).

Was the amalgamation of 3 German glass businesses in October 1923.

Josephinenhütte established 1848;
Fritz Heckert Petersdorfer Glashütte, in Petersdorf im Riesengebirge, Prov. Schlesien (Preußen). established 1866;
Refinery - Neumann & Staebe, Hermsdorf-Kynast, Prov. Schlesien, Preußen. established 1906.

Data from 1925 source in the Glass-Study

Warmbrunn was listed under Prov. Schlesien in 1906 (Source not yet in Glass-Study)
and
Schaffgott'sche (Gräflich) Glasfabrik Josephinenhütte, were then in Schreiberhau, Schlesien. Heckert was at that time in Petersdorf.

All I can find in Warmbrunn were a couple of glass dealers but no reason that one of the businesses was located there at another point in time.

As Fritz Heckert does not appear to be personally involved in 1925, it can only be that he is German, regardless of later, 1940s, border changes.

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »
Prior to 1871, both Petersdorf and Bad Warmbrunn fell within the territories of Austro-Hungarian Silesia. Only after 1871 did they become a part of Prussian Germany. Bad Warmbrunn was considered to be part of the Sudetenland. As much of the Sudetenland was part of Bohemia....
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand