No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quick and easy (?) ID for green frosted 1930's candlestick  (Read 1436 times)

Offline mikenott

• Members
Quick and easy (?) ID for green frosted 1930's candlestick
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »
A friend wants to know a bit more about this candlestick so he can link it to the relative who left it to him. Green frosted glass, four female figures.

If at all possible, maker and approximate year of manufacture?

Thanks for your help.

Michael.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Quick and easy (?) ID for green frosted 1930's candlestick
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »
Michael its a base for a comport, I have the same base complete with the bowl ,I have seen it on one site as possibly Jobling as it is similar to the Jobling all in one comport but I believe its more likely to be Czech,

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »
Roy - thanks for the response. All I can say is that this piece is definately a candlestick - it may be a comport base as well, but it looks, feels and acts as if it is a standalone candlestick. But maybe my impressions reflect a bias.......

Michael.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »
Michael I do agree with the candlestick, maybe they were sold as a comport or on there own as candlesticks, or maybe they were made as such that if the bowls which were susceptible to be damaged the base then still had a functional use,

I have included a picture of mine in frosted glass, the bowl being decorated with roses,they must date to the 1930's and I still think may not have been ID

Roy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
And here is my top to match - your friend's is in uranium glass, as is my bowl. Note the rather small diameter of the bowl's foot rim and the rather wide top of the candlestick. That he only has one may mean the top was broken (easy to knock off) rather than the other candlestick was broken. Decorative candlestick like these usually had pride of place on the mantlepiece or on the table and were in pairs. A lot of these 1930s items were dual purpose; bowls that fitted on top of candlesticks or upside down footed sugar bowl or vases, candlesticks that took light fittings.

The second bowl should also have a stand - it needs a cherub stand  :( Sometimes they weren't quite so useful in that the bowl wasn't standalone but had a peg that fitted into the candlestick, as does the third bowl

Sowerby would be another possibility from the colour but 1930s Czechoslovakian is probably more likely

(Does he want to sell or buy?)

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:02:51 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in an ID too, I have the same comport set although my bowl is different. It does not have the 3 rose feet or the flower in the middle of the bowl base. I have attached pics of set and bowl. I do agree that the base could be a candlestick too.

Regards,
Barb.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »
in order to fuss it all : is it right that Michael and Roy s item show four figurines, Barb's only three?
no, not something similar at pressglas-pavillon.de
Walther has THREE graces, and the Inwald putti are four.
Sad I cannot help - but all are very beautiful!  :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:02:40 PM »
Barb's also has a more spreading foot, rather than a squared off edge

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Sorry about my photography - my base has 4 maidens - 2 with arms crossed holding roses on chest and 2 with a single rose in hand on thigh, other hand across body under her breast, and I have included a new photo that shows the base more clearly. I'm sure the comport base is the same as the other 2 shown, just the bowl is different.

Regards,
Barb.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
Barb I thought your looked like the sdame base, the bowl also looks the same

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia