No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival Glass Pitcher  (Read 1867 times)

Connie

Carnival Glass Pitcher
« on: September 11, 2005, 10:58:25 PM »
A friend asked me to help her identify this pitcher.  I have not been able to find anything similar.  It doesn't look American to me.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=b4hqg8

Any idea of a maker?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Carnival Glass Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 07:41:28 AM »
Connie, I have seen a similar (but not exactly the same) tumbler to this before - but I have not seen the pitcher. I do not think it is European. I feel it's more likely USA made.

I showed the photo to a friend of mine in Boston, who is "the" expert on Carnival tumblers. Here's what he wrote: "All that I am sure of about that photo of the pitcher and tumblers you sent me is that they were made from the late 20s on up. I have several tumblers in clear glass that have that same wavy feature in the glass.... those marigold items are the first I've seen with the same wavy patterns in the glass."

So that's all I can find out for you Connie, sorry it isn't more, but maybe it's a start.  :?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

Carnival Glass Pitcher
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:00:31 AM »
Glen - thank you for your reply and asking the Boston carnival glass tumbler expert  :D

My first impression was that it was Czech  :?

The reasons I didn't think it was American are the open, reverse handle, the modern streamline shape of the jug, and the high mirror finish on marigold.

For my education, what characteristics of the pitcher and glassest makes you say not European and possibly American?

If it is post 1920's American then that leaves few companies that were making carnival glass - the hunt continues.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Carnival Glass Pitcher
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:09:51 AM »
Hi Connie - you could be right, it might be Czech. Your analysis of the shape is more informed than mine.

Certainly the tumbler is not one that is well known or reported in the Carnival world. My tumbler friend in Boston has what is arguably the largest collection of Carnival tumblers in the world  :shock:

Anyhow, check out this eBay auction for a familiar "face". 7350032370

If I can find out any more Connie, I will let you know directly.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand