No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: American Flint Glass Workers Union Archives  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
American Flint Glass Workers Union Archives
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
Another call for help. Here is the important part of an email I received today

Friends and Board of The Museum of American Glass [MAG].

Today, a little after 5 PM, I signed what I believe is the most significant piece of paper I have ever signed. I practiced law for 8 years signing papers that changed lives, and entered into business agreements, I have purchased buildings, businesses and more. YET this is the Big league.

MAG will need to act quickly to put in place the financing (our pledges!) and hire movers and trucks. The contents of the American Flint Glass Workers Union archives and museum are coming to Weston.

The potential for this to make us a MAJOR academic archive, a serious piece of American history and one of the MAJOR players in glass museums is immense.

Are we ready!?

I believe we must be. This opportunity comes but once. And of all the venues from Corning to Lancaster Ohio, U of Pitt and more WE are the recipients of this trust.

Now given the opportunity we must act. Quickly, decisively and wisely.

--------

Now for some background: The AFGWU archives, which consists of photographs, historic documents, booklets, newspaper articles, ledgers, collective bargaining agreements, plaques, and numerous other mementos, including records of thousands of glassworkers and hundreds of companies, not only has extraordinary value to those of us who collect glass, but considering that the AFGWU was the oldest independent labor organization in the United States prior to its merger with the United Steel Workers, it has similar importance to the history of labor in this country. The AFGWU headquarters in Toledo has housed these archives and a museum for years, but that building has been sold and it has become necessary to move these materials to another home.

MAGWV began negotiations over two years ago to become the recipient of this archive in competition with the other museums mentioned in Dean's message. We are very excited that the AFGWU has chosen to place the archives with us, but know that this will be a tremendous responsibility as well. The cost of moving the collection from Toledo to Weston is our first concern. We have a couple of estimates indicating that it will cost between $5800 and $6200. I can't emphasize how important these materials are and how essential it is that they are preserved and made available for study, so we are sending out a plea to glass lovers everywhere. Donations in any amount would be greatly appreciated (and are tax deductible). You can donate through our eBay store or by using PayPal to send money to wvmag@ma.rr.com. Of, course, you can also do it the old fashioned way by mailing a check to WVMAG, PO Box 574, Weston, WV 26451. Our deadline for moving the materials is February 25, since the AFGWU headquarters building has been sold, so that makes it urgent that we raise the money as quickly as possible.

Thanking you in advance for any help you can give -- and signing this as Archivist of the Museum of American Glass in West Virginia --

--------------------

Tom Felt
Stonewood, WV

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand