No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wayne Husted for Empoli -- changed from 'What is this'  (Read 7805 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Wayne Husted for Empoli -- changed from 'What is this'
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:44:22 PM »
Hi I am new to this board - I will be asking all you experts a lot of Q about my mystery bits of glass - this is a bit I love and you see it on eBay sometimes - I have been told it is Murano - is it? - it is 9" high very heavy and double cased with a clear blue outer skin and a milky blue inner - it is c1960 - link - http://tinypic.com/b70z7k.jpg
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 10:30:17 PM »
Hi David555,
It does look 60's-70's but I think you can get more help in the General Glass board with this one. Looks mold made also, and I havent seen a decoration like it on a Murano piece.
If you dont mind I'll move it over there.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 08:03:09 PM »
I was in the Glassoholic website - looking at Blenko and I saw this link on the Wayne Husted page

http://www.blenkocollectors.com/blenkodesigners/husted.htm

Look at the item in middle - I think it is saying designed by STELVIA in Italy by Husted - the design is exactly the same as mine but it is clear glass without the inner white casing - everything else is right, the texture the shape - so is this then a design by Wayne Husted after he left Blenko?

Got confirmation that this is Empoli in Florence not Murano - under its S.T.E.L.V.I.A label designed by Husted mid to late 1960s - it was called the 'Antiqua line' and was made in clear and 'palette' glass - that squiggle was used on a fair few objects - how long they kept on making the design I do not know - anyone?
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 06:55:08 AM »
that is excellent sluithing, Adam - congratulations.

http://tinypic.com/dfhzro.jpg

so where do you think Wayne got his inspiration? This is the water bottle that Blenko has had in continuous production since 1938. The double spout features in many of his designs :lol:

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 11:49:46 PM »
I see that Ivo - good point - a lot of other designs for other companies feature that same double spout  :o see Bischoff

Adam D555 :twisted:

In fact here is a vase he did at Blenko!!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 08:04:25 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Got confirmation that this is Empoli in Florence not Murano - under its S.T.E.L.V.I.A label designed by Husted mid to late 1960s - it was called the 'Antiqua line' and was made in clear and 'palette' glass - that squiggle was used on a fair few objects...

Great detective work! :D
Empoli and S.T.E.L.V.I.A are popping up alot of the board, im sure this will help alot of us. Can you tell u swhere you found the information for Empoli Glass? or was it just asking on the Wayne Husted link?
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 08:20:34 PM »
http://www.blenkocollectors.com/blenkodesigners.htm

Above is the link - look under Wayne Husted - some of the other Blenko designers also worked for Italian companies, etc - great info found originally through glassholics site found right here on this board

Blenko really interest me

Try

http://sherril2.user.msu.edu/blenko/default.htm

I am sure you may clear up some bits of glass you always wondered about - it has so many pictures - what a site

blenkocollectors.com informed me that my piece is Husted for S.T.E.L.V.I.A.; Ivo's book tells me that company was based in Empoli, Florence - which is of course in Italy  

It is the Murano of Florence - Ivo's book mentions about 10 companies but I am sure there were a lot more and many famous designers worked for the companies - it is a good research job - I gather there was as still is a large area in Empoli where the glass companies are based

Anyone been there, know the history?

Adam D555 :twisted:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:51:17 AM »
I've spoken to all these companies. They used to be concentrated around Empoli, FI but the town got a little crowded, so most of them moved out into the valley.
CIVE and SVE are still in Empoli, Mario Cioni is now in Capraia e Limite, CALP, COLLE, STIVER and VILCA moved to Colle Val d'Elsa, VE/Vetreria Etrusca is in Montellupo Fiorentino, along with two tiny ones called LUX and VAS. It is not easy to follow these companies due to mergers & takeovers which may or may not be permanent. Some names have disappeared, others emerged.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 08:55:09 PM »
Hi all

Ivo - I can't email you through your website address - I get Mailer Daemoned - spam protection not liking my AOL  :oops:

Tammy Kosla from the Tias Art Group contacted me (ref Blenko site) and said she will be speaking to Wayne in a few days, her husband is good friends with Wayne Husted - unfortunately Mrs. Kosla's husband is not well at the moment (I won't go into detail)  

So we should know more about Wayne Husted and his time at Stelvia soon - she is getting him to contact me - I told her the whole glass community wishes her husband a speedy recovery - hope that was alright

Adam D555 :(  :(

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 09:07:57 PM »
That shows you how fast it can spread - they may also have got info from the official Blenko collector’s page under 'Wayne Husted'

Wayne Husted has been in contact with me the ref the Stelvia 'Antiqua' line he designed and my vase in particular

Here is his email word for word - through my contact as mentioned above

Wow... What an interesting photo....The item was Definitely made from an Antiqua mold that I made in Nitro, WV. BUT... we never ordered the line in an opaque color.

What an interesting mystery!!. Stelvia must have either made some pitchers from this mold later in this opaque color combination or ;... who knows?

This would be like finding a Variations item in this color... really a mystery!

But I suppose molds morph to some strange places... would love to check this out with Stelvia which may still be in business..

Wayne (17 September 2005)

So ref my vase the mould is correct and he recognises it as his design but not ever in opaque only in clear - what do people take from this? - that Stelvia continued to make it after Wayne's departure in opaque or is it a copy by another company?

I don't think he is saying this excatly he has examined it closely compared to say the clear one being sold on eBay and the one on the Blenko site - all I can say is Wow, he knows it's his but the variation is a mystery to him - oh what companies do behind designers backs?

Comments?

I think he will contact Stelvia, they still exist - what he will get out of them God only knows - I know mine is not a one off I have seen them before in this opaque variation

mmmmmm

I think Nitro is where he was based when he went freelance - I think it was his design studio - it amazes me that he made the mold there and sent it all the way over to Italy Shocked

I can only contact Wayne through Tammy at the moment - I am really edgy about pushing questions as her husband is so ill - I don't think she has even given my email address to Wayne - this was an email to her with a question in it about my vase - she is likely protective of a man who could easily be pestered I suppose - but I think I have sparked his interest and he already knows the Stelvia website and contacts - it may take some time but answers are pouring out slowly - who knows we may get some good info on the Stelvia and it's complex relationship with Wayne, maybe not - I once had a great email relationship with Colin Terris and it ended just like that - he was very vague at times, although always highly informative and polite

I wouldn't mind inviting him (Wayne) to the board if he was interested, but I suppose he spends a lot of time on the Blenko site advising and answering questions

I use to be a freelance designer in the late 1980s and I can't remember all the companies I worked for designing rugs and carpets, I never kept any copies like I do now (the sheets were just too big) and rush jobs never carried contracts, actually longer projects didn't either! - My Father won loads of awards while at different companies for his designs ('Royal Academy of Arts' twice) and paintings but all the info from that 50s, 60s period is lost and no one will ever know because it was the company name that was on the label - there are few who get their own name on as well

These days my name goes on there, even though I will never be famous - only in my dreams LOL

Update

I contacted Tammy last week and after learning her husband is a lot better, she said she would pass my email directly to Wayne with a request to get back to me ref information, I know he is looking into these vases in fact this STELVIA range he produced at Nitro, but it may be a while still before he gets back

Adam D555 :?  :?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand