No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Apparenza  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Annella

• Members
Apparenza
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:14:42 AM »
Hi all! Can someone tell me if Fratelli Toso were the only ones doing Apparenza? I rarely see it about and the items I have seen ( and placed on my watch list) have been snapped up when my head was turned. :(
I believe you have one at least Javier?!!! :) Two more have recently come to New Zealand also. And, are bowls in this style of a comparable value to vases for eg?
Thanks in anticipation.

Lyn

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Apparenza
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
Hi Lyn!
Yup! Fratelli Toso is the one attributed for the technique.
Also, the vases are far more expensive than the bowls for sure.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

planetglass

Apparenza
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 02:27:50 AM »
Hi,

Actually, Fratelli Toso did not do the Apparenza vases attributed to them by Leslie Pina, and by me on my website (I will correct this later when I return home from a trip).

They were actually done during the war in Naples. Murano just about shut down during the war, as Venice was being bombed, so a group of artists and craftsmen from Murano went to Naples and set up shop there. If you look at the largest Apparenza vase on my webiste, you will see the original factory label with the name of the factory. I had thought it was an import label until recently corrected by Sheldon Barr (author of "Confections in Glass.")

Laura

Planetglass.net

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Apparenza
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:02:31 AM »
Oooooh! Very interesting Laura!

Who made them then? Isnt the "Castle" label attributed to Fratelli Toso? or has this been a mistake by Leslie? Very interesting indeed! Cant wait to hear more about this.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

planetglass

Apparenza
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »
Hi Javier,

I think she's right about the castle label.

I just relized that we are talking about two different items.  It is not the so called "apprenzia" vase that she refers to in her book that was made in Naples - the colorful vase cased over white.  That was my mistake.  I am referring to the black "carnivale" vases that she shows. There are two identical ones on my website:
http://planetglass.net/detail.php?id=1142&img=1&cat=2&page=9&start=48

This is the vase that was made in Naples rather than by Fratelli Toso.

Sorry for the confusion.

Laura

Offline Annella

• Members
Apparenza
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 04:14:49 AM »
Grazie tanto Javier! I think the Apparenza pattern is simply wonderful, a kinda 'Starry Night' on some heavy medication. :) I shall certainly be on the lookout for those pieces in the future.

Lyn

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Apparenza
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »
Hi Lyn,
Yea, certainly "a kinda 'Starry Night' on some heavy medication," LOL.

Here's a close up of the design. It is from one of my pieces.

Also, Laura, Can you tell us what you found out about the "Carnivale" pieces also? Thanks!

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand