No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars, is it not?  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Re: Whitefriars, is it not?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »
I bet the seller is over joyed at the price he or she got for this nice weight, come do tell who won it,  :'(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »

Hi all

The purchaser was Roy Brown (jamalpa36) and this joins 120 other whitefriars in my collection

The price was very good as long as there are no faults in the weight when seen in the flesh !!!

I will report back

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
Hi Roy.
         Congatulations looks to be a very nice weight, hope every thing ok with it, great buy. :hiclp:

Steve.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
What about the one that sold today , a ring of eleven angels around a larger central angel , plus box and certificate , they are stunning and thats cheap . :angel:

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Do they not come with 12 or even 13 angels too?   Maybe those are the ones that sell for more?

Cheers

Keith.
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Yes but its still a good buy .

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »
Hi all
I said I would report back when the weight arrived.

I am very pleased with my purchase ( no chips,scratches or internal bubbles) and still consider it to be good value. Very few Millefiori Whitefriars weights can be found for less than £100. The best value for Whitefriars Millefiori set ups can be found in Drum weights, Pin Dishes and Whisky Glasses,The majority of standard paperweights fall in the £100-£300 range with just a very few reaching £500-£1000.

Further to the discussion on the Host of Angels weight, which I did not follow as I already have two of them, in my view it does not matter how many Angels are in the outer ring as it only depended on the diameter of the canes available to the setter. I do not know what it sold for but it normally fits into the range for Xmas limited editions £300-£350. The most collectable of the Xmas weights being The Partridge in a Pear Tree or maybe the Bell.  Roy

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Hi Roy nice to see someone who appreciates how good the W/Fs weights are , Ray is always telling me what a good collection you have , the price has dropped a bit this year WHAT a good time to buy , the factory has closed and with all the new rich collectors of Whitefriars coming in they will soon realise the work and skill that has gone into these weights,when they get bored with all this blown in the mould stuff costing hundreds of pounds they will see what a bargain the weights are , i have a Partridge , Ray said there are more canes in this weight than any other W/Fs weight . R U going to the Cambridge glass fair in a couple of weeks .JP

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
Hi John

I will not be going to the Glass fair But will be at the AGM of the Paperweight collectors club in Cambridge.

Are you a member?

Which Ray are you talking about Annenberg or Metcalfe?

If ever anyone is around my way (Welling in Kent) please let me know and they are welcome to visit.

Roy

PS I counted the canes in the Partridge weight many years ago as mentioned in Pat Reillys book 9469

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
Hi Roy, there is only one Ray , thats  Ray  ~Goldie~ Annenberg . jp   sorry the other Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand