No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Couple of bits of Kosta  (Read 2516 times)

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
Couple of bits of Kosta
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »
Having finally worked out my camera has a white balance opton :hb2: I thought I'd try it out and share a couple of Kosta pieces with you.

The first is signed Kosta Unika and is 6 1/2" tall, the second Kosta LH 1421 and a whopping 14 1/2"

Both I believe are Lindstrand, and neither production pieces.

Apart from showing them off, the purpose of the post is to point out that there's a lot more 50's Kosta glass than pops up in the catalogues - so keep your eyes open.

Gareth   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Couple of bits of Kosta
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »
Drool, dribble, love the stripey one best

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:47:44 AM »
They're both absolutely gorgeous. And a good point about what's in the catalogue. I'll post a picture of my most recent Lindstrand piece that I haven't seen anywhere else. First, I have to figure out the importance of the White Balance, since you mentioned it.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline taylog1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:46:21 AM »
My camera was set at daylight - take a picture under artificial light and it gets a colour cast, eg blue for neon from the light table. Change the white balance just tells the camera to treat the light from the table as white, and so the cast disappears.

Look forward to seeing your piece

Gareth

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
Good morning:

Your first form is unik

The second form is hand shaped, designed by Lindstrand and would have been signed unik if in fact it was unik.

Bill Geary

Offline taylog1

• Members
Re: Couple of bits of interesting Kosta
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »
Bill,

Take you point - Let's call it one unique, one rare. The second one is in a different colour scheme to that in the Swedish Glass Factories Catalogue (theirs are cased black/turquoise blue) but not signed unika. That model in the book (and a few others) are also marked LX1121 - does that indicate other colour combinations also made ?

Gareth

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:37:42 AM »
I said I'd post my new Lindstrand, so here it is.  As soon as I posted, I realised what I was saying is that it's not in any of my catalogues, but I'm sure t's in some catalogue. I'm going to have to break down and spend a fortune on Swedish Glass Factories.   I know it's not a Unik. I think it's rare. I love it anyway. It's marked Kosta 06086 V. Lindstrand, which would make 1960 I think. It's a shade over 7 3/4" tall, 4 1/2" wide and weight a ton.  It's a quick and dirty photograph (literally: I've just noticed my thumb print on it).

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline taylog1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
Very nice, I sold a white one around the same size a few years ago, and have a smaller blue one in a box somewhere.
I'll e'mail you over some pics you might find interesting re this style.

Gareth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand