No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian glass - I think?  (Read 4934 times)

Anonymous

Venetian glass - I think?
« on: September 12, 2005, 01:13:07 PM »
Just bought these two sweet little glasses 2" high.  Lovely amber with what looks like silver colour enamel on the outside.  I seem to remember seeing a whole set similar to these in an antique shop with a decanter and described as Venetian.  Can anyone please confirm.  Also if the decoration is in fact enamel, and whether this has been handpainted or not.  They look quite old but are in excellent condition - so any ideas as to age would be great.  In fact any info. at all...... :P

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/venetianglass001.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/venetianglass002.jpg

Cheers!  Anne E.B. :wink:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:16:21 PM »
Darn log-in Gremlins !!!!   :twisted:
It was I.

Anne E.B. :roll:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:41:52 PM »
Hi Anne - I first thought the decoration was gilding, but is it silver?  I think it's hand applied rather than transfer-printed.

My guess is Czech or Polish, depending on how old they are.

Cathy B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 02:51:41 PM »
Hi Cathy.  I am only guessing at silver. To be more precise - silver colour. However it is perhaps more the colour of pewter because it is a little greyish.  I haven't washed them yet, so it might brighten up.  I think it is hand painted because I've compared the flowers/foliage and they differ considerably.  A bit small for the kind of "beverages" I like... but they are pretty and I couldn't resist them, especially at the ridiculously low price they cost :twisted:

Regards - Anne E.B. (off to have a drink in a proper size glass!) :lol:
Anne E.B

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi Anne E B,

Venetian, silver decoration, and yes, often found as decanter and set of glasses. (There must be a picture in one of the regular Miller's glass guides, or similar, of such a set.)

I have a pair of very worn blue vases (given as a gift out of a charity shop), 5.5 inch high, with exactly the same floral motif decoration and with stylised gondolas included.
KevinH

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 07:24:01 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Hi Anne E B,

Venetian, silver decoration, and yes, often found as decanter and set of glasses. (There must be a picture in one of the regular Miller's glass guides, or similar, of such a set.)

Wow - thank you  Kev :P  Must check out the Miller's.  Not bad for 59p for the two eh! :lol:   The set I saw in the antique shop had stylised gondolas and flowers, but I think it might have been in a different colour glass.  They were asking around £70 for four small glasses and a smallish decanter. :?  

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:21:05 AM »
Yes, Venetian. I have two sets of decanters and glasses in the charity shop that I work for. They came up lovely when I cleaned them with silver polish.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

LynWebster

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:30:14 AM »
Hi Guys - isn't the term simply 'silver gilding'? I have an art nouveau piece

which I think started life as a simple, clear vase but with gold gilding arond the neck. I'm sure 'ladies wot lunched' back then had to find something to do except drink Pimms, so they took arts & crafts courses & some drunken aristocrat ruined a perfectly nice piece of nouveau glass LoL!!!
You can see where the gold becomes 'copper gilding', the enamel outlines thay painted themselves & then painted coloured spots instead of adding glass beads or polished stones!

Same principle - I think yours is far more professionally done though!

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 03:59:51 PM »
These items are described as "silver overlay" on ebay.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand