No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scotland's Glass another milestone...  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Scotland's Glass another milestone...
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:09:15 PM »
The Catalogue now contains over 4,000 items with 7,000+ images. With 1000's more in the pipeline.

We have a dedicated group gathering material for Caithness weights and ware, but no-one is doing much to get the rest of Scotland's glass showing (and I can only do so much). So if you have anything by a Scottish maker - Art, Collectable, Industrial, laboratory.... send in pictures or information please.

Anyone whose work is not currently shown will jump the queue to increase the comprehensiveness of coverage. No limits on items per person/company and no limits on the number of images for each piece.

Offline dexterhoopie

• Members
Re: Scotland's Glass another milestone...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
I have 4 caithness decanters and 3 sets of martini/liquor/wine/champagne glasses... do you want pictures for your site??

I collect them you see  :)

Gina

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
Certainly, images as large as possible and on a plain neutral background please. It helps if we can show several angles and any markings on the base. Email limit 4mb each, using e-mail button to left of this posting, thank you.

Please mention dimensions and any details that you know of. Pictures remain your copyright.

Offline dexterhoopie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
ok then, i'll put my photograpy skills to work as soon as i can... anything to help the cause!  :)

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
Does this include Scottish Georgian glass Frank? Scotland produced some distinctive stems/forms and engraving.

Trev.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
Absolutely... 17th Century too if you can find some.

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
OK Frank. I'll do some serious homework; and send some stuff to you. There are some distinctly Scottish stems/forms and engraving; mostly attributed to Edinburgh; though Alloa is an obvious source of Nalsea type early 19th C bottles etc, some with seals. I'll be ignoring the Jacobite engraved 18th C glasses  (:( an obvious minefield!) and best passed by .......... though there are some authentic examples ........  :) Don't hold your breath for any 17th C attributable ........... though there might be .....

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 12:45:12 AM »
A couple in museums... and a few fragments lurking.  ;)

A little piece on Jacobite by Seddon
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=35

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand