No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this bird murano?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is this bird murano?
« on: September 13, 2005, 08:33:44 PM »
Hi, need help with this bird  :oops:

It has an orange centre with opaline effect over the top.

Any info on maker would be much appreciated.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Is this bird murano?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:44:10 PM »
very nice, almost looks like carved stone doesn't it. Hope you get an ID Terry

Offline David555

• Members
Is this bird murano?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:32:42 AM »
The base looks very Murano

The bird reminds me of a Sabino opalescent bird from the 30s - 60s (or other French company) - I have never seen a bird like this from Murano before, it does look very French - but I think it is Murano, just can't ID it yet

I will go see .................................

mind you the pink colour is not very french, especially when you see it from the base, French would be more subtle colouring

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Is this bird murano?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 07:54:20 AM »
The body of the bird has a look of Seguso alabastre glass and have had swans with the same colour combination, but never come across a piece of alabastre with a base like that. It almost looks as if it doesn't belong with the figure.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Is this bird murano?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 01:49:03 PM »
It doesn't look like Sabino to me... the colours aren't subtle enough for the Sabino pieces I've seen and the whole feel is wrong to me.

The way the base joins onto the body of the bird looks strange - or is it just light reflections I'm seeing? The base does actually look a bit at odds with the bird - is it original or a later addition - perhaps to replace a lost one or cover over some damage? Just thinking aloud really.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is this bird murano?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 05:49:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the base is original though there is something strange about it.

If you look at this picture, you can see the orange pontil mark pearing through.

It goes into the base a little. I presume that most Murano birds are cut flat to hide this. If the base had been stuck on by somebody, the pontil would stick out and that wouldn't be right.  :)

It is a good fit around the sides and back. The white line you can see around the first picture is just dirt and grime. The base is attached to the bird in the same way the wings are attached to the body.  :)

You might have also noticed a yellow colour inside the head area. I'm not sure if this has been added on purpose or whether it happened as the glass got thinner.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David555

• Members
Is this bird murano?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:41:27 PM »
Hi

I agree this could never be Sabino, just saying that it reminded me of some bits I have, but it's colouring is all wrong as I mentioned.

The base does look wrong, though I am sure it was always meant for this piece - it is the type of Murano base for the cruder type cockerels and the like - the opalescent /milk glass bird with the pink tinting seems far to sophisticated.

Chuggy seems right - I too would go for Seguso if it were not for the base - and you are right as well Tiger, it is not glued on, if it is a 'cut and shut' then it's been at a glassblowers and that seems unlikely

Still watching out for a similar peice

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand