No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: who was the first artist to invent copper adventurine?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline godisnowhere

• Members
who was the first artist to invent copper adventurine?
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
hi there,

I'm a glass lover whom has recently discovered this message board. Dare i say a virgin!!?

i've been a voyer for about a week,  :clap: i feel like a nervous kid wanting to hang around the cool people, hoping to be accepted!

i have been slowly collecting murano for about a year. 

1. i was wondering who was the pioneer of using copper blobs=adventurine? in the glass.  it is a recent thing?

2. are there defining characteristics of identifying chalet glass to murano ?

3. did murano ever do pieces with frilly scalloped edges?

4. any defining characteristics of czech glass to murano.?

anyway...thank you in advance ! :fwr:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: who was the first artist to invent copper adventurine?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:40:38 PM »
Hi Welcome to the board. Don't feel nervous.

Problem is though that your questions, apart from No 1 (and I'm not sure that is answerable), are probably too broad to be answered successfully. An even bigger problem is that Murano trained workers have moved all over the world to work and train other people. And people are very good at imitating styles that sell.

Chalet is sometimes signed though...

Really all you can do is look and learn and ask about individual pieces of glass. Colours, shapes and sometimes finishes are often clues

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
hi and welcome!

sorry - no answers to your questions, but an experience from another ´virgin´:
the older kids don´t bite usually!  ;)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline godisnowhere

• Members
wanna peek? my favourite pieces
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
ok my previous questions are so full on.
so here are my favourite pieces
i really hope they are murano!
they are so smooth, luscious ruby red with gold flecks inside the applied glass
..it's a love affair! :kissy:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
Hi i believe the French have been using Avventurine for at least as long as the Italians , but i may be wrong . Green Avventurine comes to mind . I believe yours may have gold leaf rather than avventurine if you are talking about the ruby ones above  .jp

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
Hi,
looking on some of my books, it looks that the first family using a brown "avventurina" based on copper powder, was Miotto, around the XVII century.
Instead the French technique (with chrome, more green color, 1860 approx.)) looks to be very similar to a chineese glass of XVIII century.

Ciaooo   :D

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »
Hi and welcome! Beautiful glass bowl and vase. I love the red glass. It looks like your vase is vertically ribbed and the bowl is spiral. Several companies made the ruby glass. The most famous are Barovier & Toso, Salviati, and AVeM, but there may be more recent pieces. The Venetian glass is copied by glassmakers who admire the work.

Murano glass tends to have a certain look, but it can be hard to draw sharp lines between countries in the appearance of the glass. There was exchange in people making the glass and exchange of the glass itself. For example, Salviati sold blanks to Moser of Austria (later Czech) around the turn of the century. Moser decorated them. Some of the decorated pieces are in the catalogs of both companies -- completely okay, because they both played a part in the making. I noticed that some Moser designs are sold in Venice glass stores at the present time. I don't know if they are local copies or if Moser made them for sale.

About Chalet glass -- the thing I look for in this glass is transparency and a signature. Unless I see these two things, I am never certain. Many companies make glass similar to Murano. I am not sure that Chalet is always signed, but I shy away if I don't know things for sure. I have a couple of shelves of mistake buys.   :(

There are some Murano pieces with frilly edges. Plain or rolled rims tend to be most popular, however. Hope this helps some.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:36:34 AM »
I'd love to hear answers to these questions. I suspect they'd be long, with lots of qualifiers. They're great questions, but ones that will occupy you for much of your collecting life.

I'll add what I can to the easiest question. According to someone who worked there, the great majority of Chalet was signed. I've found that much of the glass that isn't signed is Czech, rather than Murano. Also, I suspect that over the course of Chalet's quite complex corporate life, they made some quite different glass from what we (at least, me) expect of Chalet. One of the originals from Chalet was making glass under the name of "Rossi Artistic Glass" until recently.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:21:34 AM »
The first copper based aventurine was made in the 15th century in Murano- by accident. It was an expensive and difficult material in that it required cooling in the pot - after which the pot was useless. The material came out as one big lump which had to be hammered into usable shards by hand. Should you ever get to the Mevlevi museum in Istanbul http://english.istanbul.com/Content.aspx?CatId=3584&Type=detail you may see an ink well in solid panel cut aventurine which in Turkish is called "star stone" - and certainly the earliest I've ever seen.
Green Chromium based aventurine was first made in France in 1865.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: wanna peek? my favourite pieces
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:47:42 PM »
ok my previous questions are so full on.
so here are my favourite pieces
i really hope they are murano!
they are so smooth, luscious ruby red with gold flecks inside the applied glass
..it's a love affair! :kissy:

Gee, I would LOVE to have some pieces like that to go along with my ruby red bowl... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19499.0.html <weeps....>  :cry:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand