No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pukeberg Birds  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Pukeberg Birds
« on: February 08, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »
I've a pair of cast glass birds with holes in the middle. Both bear Pukeberg labels.

Just wondering if they're purely decorative or practical pieces, like novelty napkin-rings or somesuch? Saw one auction a while back that suggested they were meant to be laid flat and used as candleholders, but that doesn't make too much sense as the hole goes straight through and you'd get wax on your table.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Pukeberg Birds
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
If a rolled up napkin fits through the hole, it is a napkin holder.  And if the hole is too small, think little chickadees to accommodate litte yellow paper napkins for the easter breakfast table. 

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »
Or egg cups (holders) laid flat . How thick are they ? no personal jokes please .jp :huh:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
I bet you all had a good laugh when i said egg cup but  iittala have one so similar it is TIU original design Jorma Vennola 2690 . 090 munakuppi . aggkopp .eierbecher .coque tier .~ : Ahlstrom Finland , it is buried in the loft somewhere i will try to seek it out .JP  :sleep:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Oops, forgot to get back to this thread - sorry!

I tested the eggcup theory (with an unbroken egg, luckily), and it was slipping and sliding all over the place. So I suspect napkin-holder, which is a shame as bird-shaped glass eggcups would be terribly fun to have on the breakfast table!

The birds are 75mm tall, 20mm deep at the thickest part (they're slightly wedge-shaped), and the hole has a diameter of 30mm.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Hi Nick you can buy mine when i find it , still in original box  plus label . I think it has a bit of age bought it from a house clearance several years ago .. JP :angel:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »
30mm is perhaps a tad skimpy for a linen/cotton napkin, but fine for a serviette

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
Just found mine i will stick it on ebay tommorow , Easter coming up it would make a nice prezzie for a loved one and Max it would look nice with an Owls egg in it .  >:D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the thought John, but I think my owl's a bit past egg-laying.   :mus: :cry:

I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
I'll keep my minces peeled for that - it will be interesting to see how similar the designs are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand