No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This is the only thing I have against Chinese glass!  (Read 2566 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: This is the only thing I have against Chinese glass!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:29 PM »
Its interesting to note that this seems to happen more frequently or perhaps is more noticable with paperweights than other forms. Interesting also that it's not just Chinese glass it happens with.

In previous discussions it was noticed that yellow colours are often involved when this occurs. I am interested in yellow glass of all shades and have one thick walled item which is oily and rather cloudy.  How might yellow colour(s) tie in with the chemicals mentioned above ?

In yet another discussion, I seem to remember that the development of a very pale yellow colour in pressed glass over time could be associated with an excess of arsenic, ironically, originally used as a clearing agent.

Thanks
Pete

PS Incidentally, I can attest that Leni's home enjoys the benefits of central heating and double glazing which ensures that its warm and not at all damp, despite the English winter.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: This is the only thing I have against Chinese glass!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
this problem is not just with the Chinese. I was in a large showroom at a factory in West Virginia a few years ago and all their wares were suffering from this. Lots of stemware and assorted items, not paperweights. I have some paperweights from some American factories that have had this same problem. If the batch isn't right you can have lots of problems. A lot of the European factories have been buying batch from a couple of good sources for a quite a few years and have not been plagued with this problem. Batchmasters were always a very important part of the manufacturing "puzzle".
Many companies don't bother to keep their chemicals stored where they don't absorb moisture, hence when they batch the chemicals and they weigh it out they are off because of the moisture content in the chemicals that they don't calculate for when they are mixing their batch. Some suppliers of chemicals have higher moisture contents than others and can throw off formulations as well.
I heard Dominick Labino lecture on this to a group of studio glass artists about 25 years ago. He emphasized to make "good "glass. He was an extremely good glass chemist.
Tom Fuhrman

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand