No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New Buys - Murano?  (Read 5338 times)

Offline David555

• Members
New Buys - Murano?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:45:46 PM »
Yeah my mistake - Royo - Spanish (note I am not stupid - I said it looked very Italian, and I am allowed my opinion)

Royo: Mark found on enamelled and gilded glass, allegedly a Moser mark used in Spain, but this cannot be confirmed

Bling!!

Moser like other Czech glass of the 1900 - 30s was 'Bling' - my humble piece is just a quite well made copy c1950-80 - if by Bling you mean OTT (over the top) gilt and applied decoration, you seem be criticising the original article as well by association?

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib1b.htm now this is bling (taking your suggestion on board) even my modest piece can't compete with

And my bowl is just a time honoured Czech imitation (If I am to believe your previous posts - I have still to investigate myself - I have lots of other books and contacts)

Czech bling bling is even less inspired than the Italian bling bling

Are you dismissing a whole genre, period and time honoured production in Bohemia not to mention Italy

What happened to objectivity - I don't like overtly gilded and gilded items but I can see the workmanship and respect that

I like minimalist objects and even the Royo I have seen is not to my tastes, but I am not dissing them especially as a researcher I know thinks it may have been a Moser label used in Spain (how deliciously ironic)

Re Interglass: if it is not in the a-z book it is a retailer, relabeler (sic) or decorator shop
I may agree, but a little book like the A-Z does not cover every glass firm - it would be arrogant for any author to think it does so, we are constantly finding new items from the deepest past that it does not contain - I always enjoy your queries on items you don't know anything about Ivo

INTERGLASS http://www.raisem.co.ae/aars2.htm
The trademark INTERGLASS (Original Florence Style), has been founded with the union of some artisans of Interglass family in 1982. The product of this company is addressed to the International and local clients with an expert and exigent taste, who are always looking for exclusive and well-finished articles. Articles are present in the most well-known international catalogues and in the exclusive worldwide shops. INTERGLASS takes care directly of the blown glass and crystal production, following the engraving through pantographs and the final embroidery with brush using gold and silver

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:

Anyway Ivo I bet you wear D&G and huge gold chains - Luvin it!!!
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Leni

• Members
New Buys - Murano?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 11:40:50 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
I think it is an older piece, if not 1900 then 1950s copy - the ware is in all the right places and it is all hand made, hand gilded and painted, I can see the hand blown bowl and the twisted stem and foot applied - also the raised gilding is not uniform, I can see it is hand trailed with a blob at the end of each whiplash, the applied finial is uneven showing hand made application

Adam, I saw items like this being hand-decorated in Murano a couple of years ago.  I've even got a video of it being done!  I bought one very similar to yours in brown : http://tinypic.com/dy0i6e.jpg They were stacked in rows on a production line and two decorators were whizzing through the 'hand painting' at lightning speed.  

This is the label on it : http://tinypic.com/dy0kzd.jpg

They're quite pretty, but not 'real' Murano IMHO   :oops:  I'm inclined to agree with Mrs Barbini - & Ivo - on this one :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline David555

• Members
New Buys - Murano?
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 11:34:13 PM »
Thanks Leni

You are right they are quite pretty (no more than that) and as I said for a few quid you can't go wrong - seems the style goes back a bit though, I mean yours is Italian and new no doubt, but they were making them in the 20s, & 50s as well

It is what we know as "cold enamel and gold" or "Terzo Fuoco". Your example was made in the Czech Republic (by far the largest producer, check the Egermann site) or in Serbia; Italian examples tend to be more imaginative in their decoration

Glad yours is Italian at least that puts it back on topic again - you say your bit is like mine well as you can see from above quote Ivo is certain that can't be so :wink:  :wink:

So I agree its not real Murano (well some of the older stuff is - I mean I must get you a picture of a hand gilded cold painted Italian piece c1900's), I never said it was nor did Ivo, he is saying the bowl is Czech - the whole Barbini thing is a bit of a non sequitur really)

I actually agree with him on point of origin - my own research tells me it's cold painted and Czech and as he says probably Egermann c1980s looking at both the style and ware to gilding - I have looked around and seen similar pieces sold by a company that reproduces the old designs for a new market

It’s not cheap - have a look at the sites - OK flashy but that's Mrs Barbini's opinion and ..... :evil:  :evil:

What are your feelings about Czech bling bling being as cheap and nasty as Italian bling - I mean in history

I admit my bit is not truly old (I never said it was), but by association (my piece is a loose Czech copy) he  :evil:  seems to be really digging at Moser and other overtly gilded glass that are part a luscious glass history

Also - he was wrong about Interglass - they are a company in Florence who make and decorate their own glass - I enquired and like it or not, again their stuff is not cheap

You know I bought this stuff to sell on eBay and posted it for comparison sake not to have it crucified, certainly not in competition with Royo, again I would sell that stuff if I came upon it but it just does not suite my tastes collection wise, too ... well flashy, after all an A to Z guide says it was probably the Moser label in Spain LOL - Is it only me ... cos I am British that sees the irony in that, in this thread

When looking for glass from Florence I am more interested in the modernist 1950s 60s stuff - like my architectural blue vase and the stuff Wayne Husted did for Stelvia

I thank you again - you are always so helpful and kind (I mean that)

On a separate point - this is the 'Murano Glass Society' but I feel it is the right place to talk about all Italian glass - the links between Florence and Murano seem evident enough to me - what do others think

btw - jus cos I'm just here doesn't mean I have not been around - sparkin yet (sic)  :twisted:  :twisted: D555 & Adam

LOL (in a nice way)

little bit of Czech (attributed) bling I sold for a nice little profit last month and has made customer very happy

Anyway - this is gone and dusted - see you all in other posts
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Leni

• Members
New Buys - Murano?
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
seems the style goes back a bit though, I mean yours is Italian and new no doubt, but they were making them in the 20s, & 50s as well

Yes, my mother-in-law has a decanter and glasses set with identical decoration which was bought in Venice in the 1940's!
Glad yours is Italian at least that puts it back on topic again - you say your bit is like mine well as you can see from above quote Ivo is certain that can't be so :wink:  :wink:

Well, just because they were decorated in Murano doesn't mean they weren't made elsewhere, you know!  :wink:  :lol:

(And I just want to put on record that, while I know nobody's perfect, there are few people whose judgement I hold in higher regard than Ivo Haanstra!   :shock: :oops:  :roll: )

As for your question about whether this board should talk about 'just' Murano or any Italian glass - I agree it's an interesting point and I'd like to hear what other posters think.  It's certainly a blurry area  :?  

And say something was made elsewhere, but sold in Murano - a 'Chinese' paperweight, for example, or a Czech vase decorated in Murano and bearing a 'Venetian Glass' sticker  :P  :twisted:  Where should those things be discussed, eh?   :wink:

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand