No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Holmegaard?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Is this Holmegaard?
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:45:58 AM »
This 10" bottle neck vase in smokey grey/brown is 1970s I am sure - is it Holmegaard? If not who is it by - any help appreciated

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/smoked%20bottle%20copy.jpg

The piece came boxed with a lot of other Holmegaard, the colour seems to stand up well but I am unsure about the form, which is why I am posting in case anyone has a bit with a label

I agree it could be another factory, I have seen similar Kosta and Orrefors

However, I have a strong feeling of the gulvase period non cased glass from this - different shape I know, but I compare to my smoke /grey gulvase and the glass and colour match up well , the base is also similar

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Is this Holmegaard?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »
There are umpteen Swedish companies it could be, plus half a dozen Germans, two Norwegians and one Dutch company!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Is this Holmegaard?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:41:06 PM »
Ivo

Carl Erickson (Erickson Glass) did a very similar 'smoke range' for the factory he founded in Bremen, OH, USA (c1943)

I have only collected a few pictures of the 'Holiday line' he did with help of designers such as Irwin Kalla - the range seems to include a lot of bottle shaped non cased vases very similar to this - as far as I know they did not always sign

I think this design is very Blenko - of course he worked there passing on his Swedish influence for 9 years before going on to found Erickson

I have started to find a lot of USA glass in the UK of recent times - I think the old alliance allowed for mass importing during the 50s and 60s

Of course it all looks so European (LOL in a way it was) we are all confused about it :?  :?

Well all but at http://sherril2.user.msu.edu/blenko/default.htm - some site which shows lots of Blenko, Rainbow, Bischoff, Gibson, Viking and on and on

David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Is this Holmegaard?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 07:30:28 PM »
Obituary: Erwin Kalla / Shadyside sculptor, product designer
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05209/544738.stm
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Is this Holmegaard?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 11:47:17 PM »
Never mind -

Nice touch Peter

I notice in the obituary it mentions that Raymor again

Some of Mr. Kalla's work -- Raymor Holiday Glass he designed for The Erickson Glass Company in the 1950s -- most recently was exhibited Jan. 28-April 17 as part of the "Bringing Modernism Home" exhibition at the Columbus Museum of Art in Ohio

That keeps coming up a lot - was it not you that told me my yellow bowl was made in Florence and imported by Raymor - or something like that :?  :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand