No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maybe Silly - Bud Vase with (swarovski) crystal??  (Read 1274 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Maybe Silly - Bud Vase with (swarovski) crystal??
« on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
Silly question here, but I do not really know...

I just bought this (brass Bud Vase) from a thrift store, and have not even cleaned it up yet (very dusty).  I bought it for the little crystal, as I was not sure.  :spls:  The crystal does not melt as I tried a little pin prick on it.  So is this just a crystal, or could it be a swarovski crystal?  And JUST how does one tell a swarovski crystal anyways, and what is the difference between a crystal and a swarovski crystal.  Are there any sure-tell tests to do?  Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have no idea how to tell the difference....and it is glass?

I have seen those little figurines that are made of  swarovski cystal, and they are very pricey.  Please help, and I am sure it is a valid question.  TIA.
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Maybe Silly - Bud Vase with (swarovski) crystal??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »
Hi Rose, Swarovski make animals and other little sculptures from crystals. All the ones I've seen and handled are marked somewhere on them as such. Quite feint sometimes but there.
More about Swarovski here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarovski

I have a pic of the Swarovski mark which I'll dig out tomorrow and add to the marks album. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:28:08 AM »
Swarovski used to sell individual unmarked crystals of varying shapes and sizes. People and companies would use the crystals to make their own sculptures or jewelry. The only sure way I know to tell if the individual crystals are Swarovski is that the box or certificate will say so. Swarovski marks its sculptures, but not its individual crystals.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 07:08:21 AM »
Your little vase looks vaguely 1970s - hard to tell from the pics.  I'm not sure if Swarovski were making this type of item then.  :huh:

I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
Swarovski have been in business for a very long time making paste costume jewellery (read up on paste here: http://www.fashion-era.com/jewellery.htm) and you can drive the people at Swarovski absolutely bonkers if you refer to their ware as "strass".  The Swarovski material is ultra soft and cannot withstand any pressure, so it is not suitable for mounting in an armature like yours. You may therefore assume your glass or crystal bead was made properly. Check for mould lines on the item. You may find the bead is pressmoulded.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:49:03 AM »
Swarovski marks its sculptures, but not its individual crystals.

Yup, that's what I meant but didn't make it very clear.  :-[

I have some Swarovski crystal bead earrings and they are definitely not marked.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
Yup, that's what I meant but didn't make it very clear.  :-[

I have some Swarovski crystal bead earrings and they are definitely not marked.

Oh... I wasn't correcting you, Anne.  :-* I was just adding to what you had written. I have a big cabinet full of Swarovski animals that includes a few that are made by other companies using Swarovski crystals. If I didn't have the certificates, the only way I would suspect the crystals were Swarovski is that they have a lot of internal fire. I have the feeling that the crystal in Rose's vase is not Swarovski. The cut is unfamiliar.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:08:40 PM »
... you can drive the people at Swarovski absolutely bonkers if you refer to their ware as "strass". ...
Following up from another thread some time ago, I emailed Swarovski and asked whether their "crsytal" was "glass" (they use the word in their advertising stuff) or some other material. The reply did not answer the question but simply repeated much of the advertising wording. Did I really expect anything different? Probably not.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
Odd that even on Ivo's link and further http://www.fashion-era.com/jewellery/jewellery_swarovski_crystal_accessories.htm you are left with the impression it is either cut glass or some other artificially made gemstone  :huh: But an older company booklet, I have, explained that the founder had patented a process to form pulverised glass into crystals, hence paste. Clearly in a modern world the fact that something is made from dust is not good marketing. Perhaps their hyperbole has sufficiently distracted or perhaps the original methods have just been replaced with even cheaper techniques. It is intriguing how well it often seems to sell on eBay but even there it is highly erratic as with everything else. While definitions might have been confused it is originally a form of glass, whatever it is today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand