No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID acid stamp  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Joschua

• Members
    • Schuerenberg Kunsthandel
ID acid stamp
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Hello, I am trying to gather information on a diamond shape acid stamp reading "MADE IN ITALY", the words in three lines and on the inside of the diamond. To the best of my knowledge it is always located on pieces attributed to or documented for Zecchin Martinuzzi, that seem to have been exported from Italy to the US. I will try to attach a photo of the stamp soon. It's easy to find on the web though, for example Lot 49 from Dan Ripley's important Italian glass auction 29th of March 2008 has this stamp.
I did not find out anything about the stamp in my mostly European books and catalogues, probably since it normally is found on exported glass only. So I am wondering if there is any documentation for this stamp in any glass publication that was written in the US, or in any publication which I don't have at hand.   

Thank you for your help

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: ID acid stamp
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
Joschua, I have seen several Martinuzzi vases that have the diamond acid mark. I have read the same things on the internet that you wrote, but I've not seen any documentation in my books. Was the mark for Zecchin-Martinuzzi or just for Martinuzzi? I learned something new.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Joschua

• Members
    • Schuerenberg Kunsthandel
Re: ID acid stamp
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »
That is what I would love to find out, maybe it is just the export mark of one particular wholeseller, maybe it is even another company that produced in Martinuzzi's style. There are also pieces that are very reminiscent of Martinuzzi's designs, which are just marked in two lines MADE IN ITALY, no frame around the words...

Was the mark for Zecchin-Martinuzzi or just for Martinuzzi?

The Zecchin form Zecchin Martinuzzi Vetri Artistici et Mosaici is often mistaken to be Vittorio Zecchin who worked like Martinuzzi for Venini in the early twenties and designed glass just like him. This Zecchin is Francesco and was an engineer as far as I remember who was likely rather in charge of the technical and financial issues than the artistic ones...Other designers did thus work for Zecchin-Martinuzzi...

Also Alfredo Barbini was working in this company before setting up his own, were Martinuzzi continued to design sculptural glass until the seventies and I am sure there were many more stations for Napoleone Martinuzzi during the years inbetween.

So if anybody has an idea about that particular diamond style export stamp...Which company could it be, is it by a company at all? What age do those art deco style pieces marked that way really have?..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand