No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness 1976 'Four Seasons'  (Read 3108 times)

Offline elleston2250

• Members
Caithness 1976 'Four Seasons'
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
I have inherited a set of 4 paperweights in their original box called 'Four Seasons', dated 1976.  They are numbered 224 of 473 produced.

Do they have any value?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Caithness 1976 'Four Seasons'
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »
See here for a retail price; auction prices would be different. Scroll down
http://www.sweetbriar.co.uk/weightlist.php?maker=Caithness%20Current%20Stock

Offline elleston2250

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »
Thanks so much for the info Lustrousstone, my father fell in love with this set in 1976 and I have always wondered how much they are now worth and never got anywhere trying to find out.  Caithness are usually most unhelpful with such enquiries.   My father paid £250 in 1976 and your link showed their value approx £650.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
your link showed their value approx £650
That is a retail price from a major paperweight dealer. It might be a reasonable amount, but if the item has been in the dealer's stock for some time, it could indicate that the price is too high for the current market. However, in the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Caithness Paperweights (2nd edition, 2004) the set was given an approximate value of £1,200. So, if a major paperweight dealer five years later is only asking about half that, it shows that the "value" is extremely uncertain, or that the "Charlton" guide value was very optimistic.

On the other hand, a good single Caithness weight made by Willie Manson and signed with a WM cane, should have a market value of over £100. So four similar weights ought to be at least £400 - 500. And a boxed set of four, with certificate, should add a bit more to the market value.

So the Sweetbriar market price is probably about right for current times and could be used as a reasonable idea for an insurance valuation. But if the set was put into auction, even through a major auction house, it might struggle to make £300-400 hammer price, with deductions for commssion and tax making it seem "very cheap"!
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand