No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Grave update for Molineaux & Webb & Percival  (Read 1386 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
A Grave update for Molineaux & Webb & Percival
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
Hi there,

When I launched my Molineaux & Webb site recently, we hadn't figured out where most of the names we researched were buried, but we've now pinpointed them at Manchester General Cemetery off Rochdale Road, and remarkably all of the graves have survived and several list the positions of the individuals in the glass industry.

If anyone wants a look, I've collated the main photos that may be of general interest here:

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/people/glassgraves

We've found the graves of company co-founders Thomas Molineaux and Thomas Webb. Also we have a memorial stone to Thomas Webb's father with an inscription on it which is a neat visual record of the movement of glassmen from Warrington to Ancoats which occurred in the first half of the 19th century. We've found Thomas Percival of Percival & Vickers, plus we found the grave of his parents, Maria Webb (sister of Thomas Webb) and Thomas Percival (senior) who ran the Manchester Glass Bottle Works in the 1830s - 1840s, the first of the two Percival glass businesses in Manchester.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: A Grave update for Molineaux & Webb & Percival
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
again: added to my favourites! who else can tell stories like graveyards do??
Thank you!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: A Grave update for Molineaux & Webb & Percival
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »
when my husband Armin and I went to Sicily and Eolian islands last year, I photographed at least 250 graves on LIPARI island -an outstanding cemetary up the hill over the old harbour! So many names and figurines of outstanding beauty.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand