No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso Dalla Fish Ashtray  (Read 6397 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Seguso Dalla Fish Ashtray
« on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »
I bought a fish ashtray a couple of months ago. Glass like this is often attributed to Cenedese or Barbini. This ashtray is great in having a label that appears to be original. The ashtray was made by Seguso Dalla Venezia in the 1950-60s. I just wanted to pass on the pictures for other people to see since these pieces often come up on eBay or in stores. The pieces I've seen are distinct in having filigrana tails and the single-bubble pattern around the seaweed.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
Re: Seguso Dalla Fish Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
thanks Anita,
without your information I would not even think of Murano looking at this piece.

:hiclp:

martin

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:11:14 PM »
That's great! I have one of these too, and had always wondered about it because the Cenedese/Barbini attribution didn't seem quite right.  Here's mine:
Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
I bet yours is Seguso Dalla, too. I found a bowl that was similar to ours, but have curling seaweed, instead of straight. The bowl didn't have a label, but was attributed to Cenedese. I guess I should add that the Dalla bowls have straight seaweed.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »
What do you think about this? Cigarette holder? Or lighter base?
Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
I would say it is a lighter base. You can pick up an old glass or ceramic table lighter on eBay for a few dollars. The inserts are transferable among lighters that are the same size. I've done that a few times. Now let's see... filigrana fins check, single bubbles check, straight seaweed. Must be Seguso Dalla!  8)

Okay, I'm getting silly now. Must be the economy.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
Hi Anita.......I want to truely thank you for posting your fish ashtray with that wonderful label! It just so happens that I have two of those ashtrays, one with a lighter and one with a mortar & pestle. Also, I think, you may have solved another problem for me! In the early 80's I got hold of a dozen salts at an estate sale. Four or five of them had labels. I used always tell myself that if these labels were in red, they would be Seguso! My labels are in the same color as your label and foil on paper. Could you please check and see if your label is foil on papr too...............Many,many thanks........Jerry 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Hi, Jerry. The label on my fish ashtray does appear to be paper on foil. Your labels do look like Archimede Seguso labels that have been washed out. I wonder if it is what might have happened. I think you're right in your Seguso identification. (I had a Fratelli Toso label one time that was silver after the blue was washed off.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
Hi Anita.....Looks like your label is dark yellow with silver lettering and mine is dark yellow with gold lettering! Oh, well! Thanks for all your help!........................Jerry

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »
It is hard to know the history of our glass. I have a feeling your label is Archimede Seguso. Perhaps they were owned by someone who really liked clean, sanitized glass. A little chemical bleaching or mechanical rubbing and red could have gone to gold. Or maybe A Seguso had a special run of its labels that were a different color. The lettering, dots, and border of the label says Seguso to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand