No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: PRESSED RUBY GLASS...ALSO... ARE THESE POWOLNY?? ID: Paden City USA  (Read 3004 times)

Lyn Webster

Hi Folks, thanks for your help with my previous IDs. This is more of a curiosity item! In a £4 auction box containing signed Orrefors & Holmegaard vases was a quantity of Ruby tableware - goblets, plates, dessert dishes. I'd love to know their origins as, never really having taken much interst in English pressed glass, I've never seen Ruby!

It has a kind of Bohemian feel to it, & if anyone recognises it I'd be fascinated to know - if you need better pix just ask. Talking of Bohemian!!!!

I bought this pair of vases in the style of Michael Powolny at auction last week. From my potted rference material I've ascertained that Loetz continud to use Powolny's designs & style well after he'd moved onto other things. They're genuinely old & perfect bar 0.5mm or less - a flake really - missing from the end of one of the trails. They're extensively & naturally worn to the bases & stand 7.5 inches tall. The trails & piping are actually a deep blue rather than black. Is there any way of knowing whether they are Loetz, or indeed Powolny! I'm also slightly curious about value, though I doubt I'll sell them - I've been waiting for these to pop up for some time, I adore them!

My thanks in advance for any time/effort which goes into helping me & I hope I can return the knowledge sometime. Kind regards all, Lyn

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
PRESSED RUBY GLASS...ALSO... ARE THESE THE WORK OF POWOLNY??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:05:28 AM »
There's something about your pressed ruby wine glass that reminds me of the pattern known variously as "Georgian", "Georgian Thumbprint" and "Honeycomb". It seems to be available most often in tumblers. Paden City, Anchor Hocking, Hazel Atlas, Cambridge and Viking did versions, but telling the difference is an art beyond me way down here in the Antipodes!

How does the Paden City one on Replacements compare:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/PCGGEOR.ht

I'd say it's a definite maybe! Connie's our American glass expert - hopefully she can confirm or contradict.

Cathy

Connie

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:45:35 AM »
No expert  :lol:

But Cathy is right.  Your goblet is Paden City Georgian.  Your other 2 pieces are also Paden City, pattern name Gadroon.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/PCGGADRU.htm

Edited to add:  Cathy B, you forgot Fenton in the list of Georgian pattern makers.  They initially called their pattern Agua Caliente but changed it to Georgian.  Fenton made the most extensive line of Georgian and in the most colors.  I happen to collect Ruby Georgian  :wink:  Determining the maker of a Georgian tumbler is enough to make a grown woman weep. I have a cheat sheet somewhere with exact measurements, mold line numbers, whether they stack or don't stack, etc.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 02:40:49 AM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
Determining the maker of a Georgian tumbler is enough to make a grown woman weep.

Absolutely right, Connie!  :D It's where you in the US are so far ahead of us in Australia, blundering our way around without proper documentation.

Edited to make sense: I'm referring to Australian glass here. The Crown Crystal Glass Co. copied glass, imported glass and included it in their catalogues, imported glass blanks for crystal and sold them as "All Australian Made", and stuck labels for their one registered design from the 1930s, "Waverly", over all sorts of things which were definitely not "Waverly". It's a flippin' mine field. What a tangled web we weave etc etc.

All the best,
Cathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand