No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano attribution Opalescence ??  (Read 3956 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Murano attribution Opalescence ??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »
There is some confusion about the term, but I call the thin veil of tiny bubbbles sfumato. VAMSA might be a possibility?
Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »
Shannon, sfumato by definition is the shading of one color to another with no distinct line between them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
I know that's the definition given in some of the Pina books, but I've seen it used often to describe the smokey veil of bubbles found in some VAMSA pieces. So it appears there's some discrepancy.
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
Of course I'm talking about the term as it applies to glass, not painting.
Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:43:43 AM »
I did a lot more reading on sfumato. Sfumato means smoky. In glass and painting it is a technique where sharp boundaries are softened by blending or overlaying with something. That something can probably be bubbles, gold, or smoky glass. I am going to have to broaden my idea of what sfumato is. I had always wondered at why the Barbini smoky ducks were called sfumato. I figured they were, but I couldn't fit the design into my narrow definition.

This is nice to figure out. I had been reluctant to use the word because there was so much confusion with it. I guess there wasn't really confusion, only not recognizing all the ways a sfumato effect could be attained.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »
A plea for help! Sorry to be dense, but I can't see how this ashtray would be called sfumato. I thought the shading from one colour or shade to another was created by the addition or use of particles of a certain type of glass. I'm not sure I see how this would be achieved by bubbles, where it would pulegoso or bollicine. I can see the big bubbles in the ashtray, but am I failing to see smaller ones? I've also been looking through my bookmarks for a site that has an ashtray like this from Czechoslovakia, but I haven't found it---yet.  Anita and Shannon, do you see the other pieces from this person being Murano, particularly the piece with the stretched bubbles?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
I don't see the sfumato in this ashtray either, David. I'm afraid the thread turned into a discussion about what sfumato is -- mea culpa -- and got away from the original ashtray. To my eyes the haziness of the glass looks like light opalescence, but I'm not sure what I am seeing in the photos.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
Anita: Thanks for the clarification. I haven't found the link I'm looking for, but I did come across picture of an ashtray that explains why I hesitate to call the piece originally shown in the thread automatically Murano, even generic.

Davd
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
I think what appears to be light opalescence as actually a thin veil of super tiny bubbles. I've seen this type of ashtray before, and also the matching lighter, and I do believe they are Murano. There are a couple of similar ones at the Svazzo site listed under Barbini. I do also think the opalescent one with stretched bubbles is Murano.

Sfumato is a confusing term when applied to glass! What many people call sfumato, I would call polveri. But I've seen the term sfumato used over and over to describe this particular bubble effect, which is completely different from polveri.
Shannon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand