No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RONALD STENNETT WILSON GLASSES WEDGWOOD  (Read 4311 times)

Offline POOLED70

• Members
RONALD STENNETT WILSON GLASSES WEDGWOOD
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
Hi, I believe these to be designed by Ronald Stennett Wilson and are known as Tower glasses, they are marked with the Portland vase mark, any information or conformation would be very helpful,
Thanks Dave.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: RONALD STENNETT WILSON GLASSES WEDGWOOD
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »
Pattern number RSW1, originally designed for the "Rib Room" at the Carlton Tower Hotel, London and the first range to have the WW mark...available in clear, topaz and blue.

Info courtesy of 'Wedgwood Glass' by Susan Tobin.

Offline POOLED70

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
Thanks for that Martyn, I know it's a bit crass to discuss values but I can't find anything to give me an idea, I have a set of 6 in perfect condition.
Dave

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »
Honestly don't know...I think I've some in a box somewhere, but haven't tried selling any for years...sorry.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
Thanks for that Martyn, I know it's a bit crass to discuss values but I can't find anything to give me an idea, I have a set of 6 in perfect condition.
Dave

I don't know if this helps but whenever I have to price up something that I either haven't sold before or can't find any information online or elsewhere, I decide a value based on three things a) quality and condition b) the cost of buying a comparable set brand new (usually I look at Habitat and Heals prices) and c) how much I personally would be prepared to pay for them.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
Adding for reference a group of Tower glasses in topaz.

Assuming the tallest is a wine then from left to right:
wine 11cm
sherry 9.7cm
Liqueur 8.6cm
port  8.4cm
sundae dish 8.8cm

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
rather nice John  -  don't recall having seen one, in the flesh that is.

apropos of being related to this post indirectly  -  bought another copy of Stennett-Willson's 'The Beauty of Modern Glass' the other day as it was only a couple of quid  ..........   intrigued to see that on the title page his printed name has been crossed through and replaced with  Ronnie Stennett-Willson  -  written with a fountain pen I'm sure.

Do you think it might have been his copy ;D ;)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
I had never seen one before either but no doubt who made them as each is sandblasted Wedgwood England along with the Portland vase. I was lucky enough to find them in sets of six, 36 glasses in total (12 sundaes).

Ronnie sounds personal, his copy or someone who knew him well? Have you looked for images of his hand writing?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
remarkable that you should have found so many at the same time, especially on Sunday.....

I'd imagine John that it was his hand writing, although no, I hadn't checked it out.       Not sure why it is signed in this particular way  -  when authors sign, usually, they simply write their name somewhere near the front of the book, often with a dedication of sorts - rather than crossing out their printed name.

not important, but I was just curious as why it had been done this way, but doubtless will never know:)               

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 10:01:42 AM »
Hi, in terms of value I had a set of six in the blue which I sold and which can be seen at http://20cglass.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54_23_30&products_id=395 complete with pricing information.

Neil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand