No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green glass box with lid - ID = Hazel Atlas "Criss-Cross" fridge box  (Read 11000 times)

Offline aflint

• Members
Re: Green glass box with lid
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:48 PM »
You're very welcome Cheryl - I'm thrilled that I could ID anything on this board but you happened to have something I knew well.

Christine - it's good to see familiar, um, faces here, I'm a fish out of water I'm afraid. I see a couple of other favorite folks here as well -  Janice for one. Most of what I come across fits in at our chataboutdg site. Here in the
heartland I see predominately Depression era and newer American made glass.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
Here's an Electrolux refrigerator storage box bought earlier today.  An identical one is also shown on the Wakefield Museum online collections in their Bagley section.  Attributed to Bagley & Co. Knottingley, produced 1945-65. 
Cool or what?  ;)
Anne E.B

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »

Hi,  I love my refrigerator box, I have it on display on my fireplace in the living room. Nobody would think you would hide it away inside the fridge. I bought an old glass battery case the other day. (about 10 inches tall) Its not pretty really, just a functional bit of glass but still interesting what uses glass can have. My Mum said they used to have them during the war to power the radio and had to take it to a shop to have it charged. I'll use it as a vase!!    Regards cheryl

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »
What a great idea!  Is it like this one? http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16526721
I've seen something similar to these on my travels and haven't given them a second look, but will do so in the future.  Mini-propagator in the garden may be, or to hold spaghetti ... ;) 
Anne E.B

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
Amongst the many local (european) designs for fridge boxes (mostly in clear glass) it's important to note the 'Kubusgeschirr' designs by Wagenfeld.
I've seen these for sale at over 150 euros each!

http://www.deutschefotothek.de/obj32006993.html

In Holland both factories made vesions (some of which are marked 'PEN'.)

I have a complete box here which even has a perfect vacuum seal, It still works so well that you can lift the box by holding the lid!!!

I use it to demonstrate the wonders of glass design! ;-)
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »

Hi Anne, my battery box is similar but taller, its got an acid level marked all round the top and other words in the glass about the charge etc, only paid a pound for it but I thought it was interesting. I had never seen one before. Mine is clear glass with a green tinge, very heavy. Suppose they are a bit of history in a way.

Regards cheryl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand