No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New to Board...would like to say Hello and Impose  (Read 2571 times)

Anonymous

New to Board...would like to say Hello and Impose
« on: September 19, 2005, 02:11:59 AM »
Hi...I just stumbled upon your glass board this evening and I'd like to say hello and HELP!! I have been searching for two years to find the maker of my cruet or perfume bottle...I don't even know what sort of a bottle it is. I hope it's not to rude of me to ask for help on my very first post. I'm going to try to attach a picture to my post and I hope it works.

The bottle is about 5 1/2" tall with the stopper. It has cut and etch designs (I'm not a glass collector so I hope I'm saying this right) that start on the stopper with a ring of tiny cut & etched oval dots. At the base of the neck of the bottle is an etched wave pattern, below the waves are little cut & etched dots, below it are larger cut & etched dots, then a thin cut band, thick etched band, thin cut band, greek key design...etc..There is a mark on the bottom of the bottle and on the stopper. It's either an etched 6 or g with a period. looks like this: 6.  or  g.  The bottle is very dirty inside but that's another story.
http://tinypic.com/drd0nr.jpg" alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:16:43 AM »
you may be able to see the design better in this picture:
http://tinypic.com/drdtvl.jpg" alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

Here is the picture of the g. or 6.:
http://tinypic.com/drdvs1.jpg" alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 07:26:33 AM »
Welcome!   :D  

I think your bottle is likely to be a from a cruet set, not a perfume bottle.  I think the 6 or g is irrelevant to a certain extent, in that it is just a way of making sure the top and bottom were the right ones for each other, though someone else may know if the number or letter system links them to a particular maker.

I would love to see it cleaned up!  Have you tried denture cleaner, or 'magic balls'?    

Leni
Leni

Connie

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »
Actually the 6 or the g. is relevant because it is a cursive captial "L" for Libbey Glass  :lol:

I have a small pair of wine carafes on my site with the same mark and a similar but not as elaborate decoration.

Libbey Wine Carafes

I noticed that I don't have a picture of the mark with the items.  Here is a link to some Libbey marks.  But on small or less expensive? pieces they only use the "L" and not the entire word

http://www.heartland-discoveries.com/glasslettersLO.htm

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 08:37:05 AM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
Actually the 6 or the g. is relevant because it is a cursive captial "L" for Libbey Glass  :lol:

Oh well done, Connie!   :D  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 11:46:35 AM »
Hi folks
I have seen this on top quality crystal decantors where the stopper is polished, a #6 or is it a # 9

Leni you are on the right track, the stopper is is polished in the neck of bottle to ensure a perfect fit and the # is to ID decantor and stopper.

I have seen decantors with stoppers that look OK untill you see # on one piece is not the same as on other piece, so the stopper has been replaced with another one.

Hope this makes sense.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »
Have you searched for the pattern around the middle? It's called Greek Key.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 06:50:41 PM »
You guys are wonderful! Thank you for your responses!!

Connie, I have been searching on the net for an example of a Libbey mark with a cursive L that looks like the one on the bottle and stopper but I haven't found anything yet. I'll still explore that avenue, though.

First, I began my search looking for glass patterns of various makers that also have used the Greek key design..there's lots..

Then, I looked for examples of the greek key design used with the little cut dots or ovals. Finally, I looked for makers that incorporate most or all of the design elements found on the bottle, paying special attention to the wave design, in their pieces.

I discovered the beautiful craftsmanship of Hawkes glass and I was kind of thinking that this bottle may be his or a maker during the same era with the same style??

I just don't know. Does it matter? I guess not but I just love this bottle. It's so light and fragile. I want to be able to attribute it to someone. If it's a cruet, I'd really love to find a match for it. You guys are great!! Thank you again for your responses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand