No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID.  (Read 3620 times)

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
Please help ID.
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »
I have sold this weight as "Strathearn or Perthshire" and have thought it was right.
(Either Strathearn then Perthshire, but I have been not quite sure).
Did I make a mistake?
Could it be not Strathearn?
And when: what is it?
Regards.
Lothar

More pichtures under:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330307506918&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:DE:1123

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Please help ID.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:48:11 AM »
It is one of many that could be either later Vasart or Strathearn. Without a label or some other clue there is no way to be sure which it is.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
Hello KevH :hiclp:!
Thanks for answering!
You know, I have sold the weight to UK  :huh:
The british purchaser wrote to me, it seemd to be not Perthshire or Strathearn.
That maybe right, if we are looking to the later Strathearn and perfekt later Perthshire weights. :hiclp:
He spoke about "crude" kind of making and so on.
I wrote him, to look to some LINKS which I wrote him and to ask Allen Thornton for example because I am also a member of the PCC,.... or to bring it here on the board (I have done it).
Then he told me, he will ask some people on an lokal antiques fair and he had done so.
To paypal he wrote: it is a fake or chinese weight. That troubeld me very much  >:D, because of the canes, the greenish, opak ground and the typical pointil mark, I have been sure : it is an old, solid scottish weight!
I do not want to make you the judge in this case. I want to discuss truly and public!
And I believe:to make a mistake is human beeing.
Please tell me : do you think : is there any little, little chance that this weight could be chinese or a fake???? :huh: :huh: :huh:
I have seen some chinese weights, but never spoke or cartwheel designed ones like this.
Did you ever heard of that???
I will try to make an invitation to the purchaiser here on the board.
To make problems public seemed to me the best way.
Hope you shall answer to that trifle, because the reproach is against my honor.
Regards.
Lothar
Please excuse my terrible english!!!!
 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:03:01 AM »
I think you provided more than enough very clear photos for him to make up his mind. To me (and all I know about paperweights is what I have learnt from here and then looking at paperweights in antique centres) it looks like Strathearn and if I had found it cheap at a boot sale or flea market I would have snapped it up. Truly, how many dealers of mixed items at antique fairs know what everything they have if it hasn't got a label.

There is no market in faking Strathearns. It does not have the finish or the Murano-type cane look of modern Chinese lookalikes, although it does have have a bottom similar to a 1930s Chinese, which is well before Strathearn time.

I wonder if your buyer bought it for resale without doing his homework on how much they are fetching or even on what Srathearns are?

You have two courses, your either stand your ground and supply evidence to paypal of what you sold or you ask him to return it the same condition you sent it at his expense and then when it comes back to refund him and put him on your blocked sellers list

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
Hi Lothar dont worry about you English some of us AINT so hot and if that weight is Chinese i will buy a hat and eat it , i am no expert but have been into paperweights for about 30 years . Regards JP . ::) :angel:

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »
Hi Lothar

Your weight is Scottish,without a doubt. I am surprised that any collector could think Murano or Chinese.

You may have left out Vasart or Ysart Brothers in your description but buyers have to take some responsibility for their purchase.

Good Luck

Roy

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »
Hi Lothar, I know little about paperweights but I do know that your buyer would have to get third party proof, in writing to PayPal that it's a fake, they won't just take his word for it.  I'd keep copies of these replies in case you need to forward them to PP and just sit tight for the meantime.  However, sometimes it's easier and less hassle to simply offer the customer a refund and be done with it.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:06 AM »
Some Vasart weights can look a bit more "untidy" than Strathearn, and some Strathearn from the early days of S.
can also look "untidy".

I am 100% certain this is not a Chinese or Muranese copy but indeed a Scottish weight from Vasart or Strathearn.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »
I forgot to say yes SCOTTISH . in my opinion . :thup:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:12 PM »
I've been away for a day so have not seen this development until now. Nice to see the various replies in favour of the Scottish origin.

I stand by my first statement of either later Vasart (1956 to 1964) or early Strathearn (likely first half of the full Strathearn paperweight years of 1965 to 1980). Even a UV check will not separate those weights as the glass batch was essentially the same over the whole 24 years.

I have never yet seen a Chinese weight of that design. And although Christine's comment about the base of the weight suggests it could be similar to 1930s Chinese, I would query that. The finish on the base of the weight in question is of a form which is typical of many of the Vasart / Stathearn items and, from your eBay photo, looks like it could be lightly fire-polished giving a smooth but partly "wavy" surface. It is not like the lightly ground base surface of so many Chinese items.

If reference is needed to other similar weights, please see my website articles at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/

Good luck.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand