No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: General Question Re: Walther Glass (Germany)  (Read 13201 times)

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
General Question Re: Walther Glass (Germany)
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Hello to all glass collector. Greetings from Australia.

I collect mainly art deco glass (float bowls and centrepieces) from all makers including Walther glass. Over the last few months, I have came across a few unsual examples of Walther ?? pieces. Are these genuine? Below are some examples:-

Greta vase.....sometimes, I've seen this vase had a label "foreign" on it, and sometimes the vase had an unusual colour like dark blue which was unusual for Walther glass...It makes me wonder whether or not this greta vase is actually made by Walther or a copy from other company?
Same applies to the Windsor vase.

The Arabella one-piece centrepiece (not the usual 2 pieces where Arabella can be separated from the flower frog)

Peter Pan Stripe Tunic

Large flat version of waterlilly bowl - this bowl is slightly flatter than the usual one

Any thoughts / comments are much appreciated

Cheers
Brenton

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: General Question Re: Walther Glass (Germany)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
 The Arabella one-piece is OK. I've had both in green uranium and they were otherwise identical

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:28:19 PM »
Good morning Australia, Brenton!
Please, would you add photos of your collectables, one each in a separate thread? I'd be happy to comment as far as I can. Walther and all other Saxonian producers are my main weight and interest.
Please also photograph the bases and marks.
A 'FORGEIN' in a circle leads to Bernsdorf, f.e.

Thank you

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:55:48 AM »
Hello Everyone,

The Arabella one piece is shown in the 1934 catalogue, after that year it only seems to be the two piece version.

Regards,
Barb.

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:16:37 AM »
Hello to all....Thanks for the confirmation on the Arabella one-piece set, and Pamela...., I'm sorry I don't have any photos to show on these items, I only came across them on ebay and shops....so I was a bit confused whether to buy or not to.....:huh:

There are a couple of Peter Pan in stripe tunic listed on ebay UK currently, and if you look closely, the bowl is quite "flat", not the usual waterlily bowl as seen in the 1936 catalogue.

Cheers..Brenton

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:18 AM »
Hi Brenton
I have this Schmetterling which is in deep blue like the Greta vases you mention.I have also seen the Irene vases in this deep blue
I always wondered if this was a later colour or possibly an ealier colour? Any thoughts?
Many hanks Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »
Hi Nigel

Nice Schmetterling vase. I heard / read somewhere on the internet about this part frosty and part gloss effect on Schmetterling...The vase you had is said to be made around 1960's by VEB Sachsenglas.

You seem to have many interesting pieces Nige :)
cheers
Brenton

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi Brenton
Im mainly a collector of Walther glass though I do like my ladies by whichever company.I do get a bit of time off at work,which allows me to travel about and seek some bargains.I love going around the fairs as you never know what you may find.
Im always looking for that elusive Walther piece such as the Rotterdam comport!
You have some nice pieces too,I like the Luna lamp you have and I believe you said you have the Haarlem piece.I must say Orla is one of my favourites I have 5 of her!!!
Regards Nige

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
Talking about Walther glass.....Have you owned / seen the Victoria comport and the Mainz comport before? In Australia, many collectors are looking for these 2 pieces.

50 pounds for the rotterdam comport is a very good buy.....although I don't have one, I would say one will have to pay at least 700 dollars for the set....what's the condition of the set you owned, may i know pls?

I have 2 orla ladies....one in blue, one in green, but my favourite is the sonnenfische bowl and the dressing table set

regards
Brenton

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »
Hi again Brenton
The Rotterdam set is perfect no damage at all which is even better.I have only seen the Victoria comport once and it was the frosted version in white/satin.I think it was in Australia but not sure.The mainz comport is it the bowl that looks like Essen? I have the Essen bowl in Amber which I think sometimes has the Schwalben figure in it,would be fab to find any of these comports.I have the Paradies comport in green and pink wish I could find the correct bowls with the nesting pelicans/storks.
I like the sonnenfische pieces too,I have the bowls in green,2 in pink and amber.Also have the sonnenfische set in pink,a large pot in green and blue and the comport base in green with the neptun bowl on top.
Finding these pieces over here is better than ebay as you dont pay half as much as they go for on ebay.I dont sell on ebay anymore I now do a glass stall at fairs selling,and its good to go around the fair before the public and grab some bargains!
I still do many swaps for items which is always good!
Nige

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand