No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID weight.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline marc

• Members
Help ID weight.
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
Vasart? thanks for any help. Marc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help ID weight.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
Yes, Vasart (post 1955) is very probable. But, as I often say, without a label or other proof some of these are difficult to separate from easrly Strathearn.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marc

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
Thank you very much for your help, it's very appreciate for me, congratulations for your web page is very interesting, I have learnt a lot with it. Best regards Marc

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »
Hi Kev

I agree that distinguishing between all late Vasart and early Strathearn is difficult, if not impossible. But from several conversations with Catherine née Ysart, who used to grind bases for Vasart, I get the impression that whilst some Vasart bases were ground on a wooden wheel with abrasive powder, giving the characteristic marks, that did not happen for early Strathearn weights.

If so, that suggests borderline weights with a ground pontil are most probably (?definitely) Vasart. Flame polished bases could indicate either. Does that fit with your understanding, or am I making too much out of scant evidence?

Regards

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
some Vasart bases were ground on a wooden wheel with abrasive powder,
Alan

I was very interested to read this as I have never come across this use of a wooden wheel with abrasive, which seems rather unusual. Assuming the powder was carborundum (silicon carbide) I would have thought the wheel would be likely to wear down faster than the glass. Perhaps a technique peculiar to Vasart? Or was it used widely?
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 12:09:40 AM »
On the point about ground bases of a certain style - or with certain marks - meaning "most probably (?definitely) Vasart", as opposed to early Strathearn, I do tend towards that conclusion. Especially, as you say, with the information that has been passed on by Catherine, daughter of Vincent Ysart.

But I still like to keep an open mind, hence my caution when talking about items likely to be from the transition years. It's a bit like my conclusions that all Vasart-type weights that show as blue under shortwave UV must be post-1955 and all Vasart-type weights that show as "grey" under shortwave UV must be pre-1956.

For current practical purposes, it is probably reasonable to go with those base grinding and UV criteria.

But the older I get, the more I think "never say never" is a good guide. ;D
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
Hi aa

Regarding wooden wheels not wearing away.  It is generally the case with abrasives in between two materials of differing hardness that the harder material wears more quickly than the softer! Diamonds are sometimes polished using diamond powder on a steel scaife, or cut with diamond powder and a copper disk - and it is the diamond that wears away. The effect is sometimes seen with steel axles wearing away faster than a brass bush, for example.

There is a good reason: an abrasive particle can become embedded more easily in the softer substance, whereupon it does no further damage to the soft material, but can grind away the harder material as that moves past it.  I think the general concept of soft wheels or substrates bearing hard abrasives is used quite widely. Polishing mops of cloth or felt are an extreme example of this principle.

Regards
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand