No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Glass Tumblers ?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline sueglass

• Members
Holmegaard Glass Tumblers ?
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:51:18 AM »
Hi all, I have these and feel they are made by Holmegaard, The colour and weight. Have goodled and yahooed every site I can. Anyone? they each weigh 300 grams approx. Thanks, Sue

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Holmegaard Glass Tumblers ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »
I would have thought they are Arcopal...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:54:51 AM »
Impossible to tell the colour from that angle - but it's not a shape I'm immediately familiar with.

Holmegaard will be a grey with a deep green tinge to it - although even that's no guarantee.

Ivo is probably spot-on with Arcopal/Luminarc. Their greys are generally quite brown-tinted.

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
Thanks Ivo and Nic for the replies. I have had Canada glasses before and they were the same in colour as these. These have got a green tinge to them. I have added another photo which maybe shows this better.  Sue.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »
Still looks a little brown on my monitor - but that's web-colour and monitor-setting variation for you!

But, as I said, it's not a design I recognise so I can't say for certain either way. Sorry.

If it's any consolation, I too have a stash of green-grey drinkware that I've never been able to attribute.  ;D

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
Nic, my camera is bad as well which doesn't help, something which you can't tell by the picture is that they taper in slightly at the top as well. Sue

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
I'll keep an eye out for anything similar in the HG catalogues, just in case.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »
Nic, my camera is bad as well which doesn't help, something which you can't tell by the picture is that they taper in slightly at the top as well. Sue

Sue, if you can post up a photo of the glass from a straight on side view so we can see the shape properly it may help.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
while you're at it, also shoot the bottom and the rim, please - they may be telltale.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »
Actually, fairly sure that it's not Holmegaard after looking closely at the rim in the first photograph.

It looks to have a small ridge of glass running around it, meaning that if it was made at Holmegaard it would have to have been cracked off hot using the Gerbaud method, which is to say that the glass was inserted into a machine and the excess glass was melted off to the right height by small and very hot flames, causing this small 'slug' around the rim.

When it came to thin-walled drinkware Holmegaard used this almost exclusively on catering-quality glass from the 1950s onwards because it gave a cheap mass-produced appearance. Most retail-quality glass was cracked off cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand