No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lord's Last Supper Plate  (Read 9896 times)

Offline TerriR

• Members
Lord's Last Supper Plate
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
I have been trying to identify a plate that was my great, great, great Grandmother's.  The plate is approximately 200 years old. It is a clear 11x7 plate with the Lord's Last Supper on it.  I see no markings on this plate. I thought it might be Tiara glass, but I know that company only dates back to about 1896. Anyone with any information would be of great help.  Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
Re: Lord's Last Supper Plate
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
It will be difficult to ID without a picture. BTW, Tiara started around 1970 in the US.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TerriR

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the response. I hope the pic comes thru okay.

Moderator: Copyright image removed

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
TR — Welcome to the GMB.

There is thought to have been a large Last Supper platter made by Sowerby.   Feel all over the upper surface, and you might find their trademark, a peacock's head over a twisted rope.   Sowerby exported worldwide, so one could turn up anywhere.

... and beware of rock solid family history.   Family histories can be great works of fiction, particularly when "shameful" events like illegitimacy, prostitution, conscientious objectors, criminals, mental illness and other disabilities have had to be excluded.   There are few family histories that haven't been improved in some way!   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:36 PM »
The Model Flint Glass Co. of Findlay, Ohio, USA, first presented the Lord's Supper bread plate in 1891 -- not 200 years, but it is the earliest I know of. This information is from Measell and Smith's Findlay Glass. I do not know which colors were made, but if you know your plate is this old, then it is most likely Findlay glass. Measell and Smith write that the mould for the plate was made by Henry Coons in 1890 and there was excitement because it was an original and not a copy of an earlier work.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:39 PM »
BTW, Tiara Glass was a 20th Century glass distribution company. Tiara glass was sold using a Tupperware-party type model, if I understand correctly. Women would have Tiara glass parties and sell glass to their friends. Much of the glass was made by Indiana Glass, so you can find patterns listed both as Tiara and Indiana. I believe Tiara Glass was in operation for about 20 years (1970-80s). Members, please feel free to correct me if my dates are off. Tiara Glass sold Lord's Supper plates, but the quality was not as good as the original Findlay work.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »
TR — Your picture shows the general type that regularly turns up in Britain in two sizes, a small one that could be 11cm x 7cm that is unmarked, and is often attributed to Sowerby, and a much larger platter, that could be 11" x 7", that is much more scarce, and might carry the Sowerby TM.   If they are Sowerby, that colour dates from the introduction of their Tynesyde glass in the late 1920s at the earliest.

If you are certain about your family tradition, then the simplest explanation is a replacement for a broken piece.

Religious artifacts are difficult, generally unmarked, and rarely appearing in trade catalogues as they were sold in bulk to religious wholesalers.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline TerriR

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 08:21:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information!  I will do some more research.  I didn't see any trademark etc, but I'll investigate further!
My plate is 11x7 so it is the larger of the plates.  My mother gave me the family history. She is still alive & 78 years old. She was 30 when she got
it from her Grandmother, who died when she was 100.  I am still researching how old my great great grandmother was when she got it from my great great
grandmother.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »
Hi Terri, welcome to the board!
In order to identify just the pattern I have dared to attribute mine like this:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/02795.html
but it bears a huge ?
Good luck!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »
TR — Your picture shows the general type that regularly turns up in Britain in two sizes, a small one that could be 11cm x 7cm that is unmarked, and is often attributed to Sowerby, and a much larger platter, that could be 11" x 7", that is much more scarce, and might carry the Sowerby TM.   ...
Bernard C.  8)

Bernard, I wonder if Sowerby used the same moulds that Model Flint used. It would be nice to compare the different plates side by side. I was able to compare a Model Flint version to a Tiara Glass version. There was no comparison in the quality. The timing of production (Flint to Sowerby) made me wonder if Sowerby might have purchased the moulds or copied them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand