No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kaj Blomqvist and Bengt Orup difficult to sell  (Read 7290 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Kaj Blomqvist and Bengt Orup difficult to sell
« on: September 20, 2005, 01:00:17 AM »
Hi all

I bought these two vases at what I thought was a reasonable price to sell on eBay - say £40.00 each – I was going on the fact that they are beautifully designed retro glass and by well known designers - I thought?

First is an undulating bark vase of great beauty fully signed to base by Kaj Blomqvist (there is an 'e' but well away from name or is it Blomqviste) for Humpilla of Finland - I thought a collector on eBay would snap it up even though it weighs 2.5k – it is such a beautiful cinnamon colour

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/humpilla%201%20copy.jpg
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/humpilla%202%20copy.jpg

Second is a vase by one of my favourite designers, Bengt Orup – I know this was a range and this is not the best shape, but its 6.5” high and quite heavy, signed to base with Orup’s special label & 'H' when at Hyllinge Glass of Sweden – only worked at Hyllinge for 3-4 years so I thought the stuff was quite rare – I notice that this designers work when at Johansfors is more highly rated yet less experimental – a bit went recently for £120.00 on Ebay

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/orup%201%20copy.jpg
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/orup%202%20copy.jpg

It amazes me that I can put two items like this on and there is no interest when people are paying silly money for Whitefriars, etc.

Maybe some more info about the designers and the companies will help – any comments accepted

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:53:07 AM »
Why doesn't something sell? I have had this discussion many times over the years. There are so many variables that come into play. I have been involved in researching and selling glass since 1989 in a mall setting. I have a booth or for some of you what would be called a stall. When I take something there my lable shows my research because I tell the customer what it is. As with fashion, glass goes through cycles. What is hot today is not tomorrow. A few years ago Tiffin was very hot. I couldn't keep it, now it barely moves.
I have a friend who does Shows. He travels around the country setting up and tearing down and generally having a good time, but also watching his bottom line to detect what is selling and what is not. He just told me that all of his EAPG glass is going into storage because as he said "Its dead in the water"  He knows it will come around again.
Now we come to Ebay. I have not sold on ebay, but it is a marketplace just like any other. This is my take on ebay and remember its just IMHO.
In my setting, the booth, the customer can pick the item up, feel it, look at it, read the lable and make a decision. In the show situation my friend is there to answer questions (and some of the questions he has told me he is asked you would not believe but thats for later) He knows his stock and thus becomes an exert in residence. He can actually see what is drawing people and where their interests lie.
Ebay to me seems much harder. Sure you have a wider buying audience, but all they have to go on are the pictures you post and your description. I would imagine its a tougher sell. Finding the right category, getting good pics, writing a description that is both accurate and  will want to make a customer buy. As I said I don't sell on ebay, but I recognize the amount of work that goes into it. Hopefully some of our ebay sellers will jump in and add some comments.
As I sit here I can think of so many other factors that come into play, but will stop for now and let someone else take over. By the way, I love both of your pieces and nice pics. Terry

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:37:44 AM »
Adam — my sympathies.   It has happened to me, too often in my early days on eBay.   The problem is self-perpetuating, because, as more find that unusual items don't sell on eBay, fewer unusual items get listed on eBay, and then fewer prospective buyers look for them on eBay.   Like Terry, I much prefer and enjoy consultative selling at fairs.

I am working on a basic selling website at present.   I think it is the way we will all have to go eventually.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright 200415 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 01:38:49 PM »
Maybe a cyber fair is the answer where within an overall site sellers can rent a stall with maybe 20 or 30 slots to display items and develop customer relationships this way. If anyone more technically minded could devise such a thing I'm think it would probably take off quite well, but to avoid becoming dominated by one or two large sellers keep all stalls to the same size and pictures automatically sized to the same size, then if further details are required they could be obtained from the individual stall holders.

Just an idea.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 03:06:33 PM »
The Humppila is fabulous -
How big is it ? I have a feeling smaller than this picture suggests..
Humppila is not well known ...yet

There are followers of Orup but Hyllinge is not well known.
Is there a name for this technique ?
Is it graphite ion the glass ?
The appeal here is somewhat stark and modernist.
This has it's admirers but for many "pretty" wins out.

But no point in "blaming" the items ...
You may need to re-evaluate your selling strategies...
I can't comment on those as I didnt't see your original auctions.
There are many things which go towards a successful sale. Very few items "sell themselves".  For shining examples of how it should be done see Bernard's (bernard-cavalot ?), Wayne's (20thcenturyglass-com) and Javier's(svazzo) auctions.

Bidders are looking for bargains ...thats the mentality fostered and indeed promoted by Ebay themselves and it is after all an auction just like any other. It's warfare out there

Apparent anomolies abound. Its instructive to review the achieved prices at www.whitefriarsorg.org and to see identical vases sell in the same month at different prices. To find out why you need to analyse and compare the seller features as well as photos of course. Occaisionally it's just good or bad luck.

Your pics are good but some close close ups wouldn't go amiss especially on the internal decor of the Orup.

It's important to spell Humppila correctly and re-list !!!
I hope this helps

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
Quote from: "Shakespeare"
All that glisters is not gold

My listings may look okay, but often don't sell!   I think they are too detailed for many.

It's important to spell my eBay Id correctly otherwise you won't find them.   See the signature block below.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright 200415 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 09:41:19 PM »
Thanks everyone - now for my rant of the week

I have been selling on eBay for 2.5 years now - over 800 quality items and have a sell rate of about 65% which is good - I do re-list unsold items at a reduced cost and the profits I have made on the first sale often offset any losses on re-list reductions

Thing is, all that has been with Monart, Vasart, Holmegaard, Whitefriars, Mdina, IOW - strange I always make a huge profit from Wallace & Sanders & Altaglass (I researched these well after good sales)  :shock:

I do thank you all for your advice. I guess it has been taken I put forward a question for debate "Why can I sell a bit of modern IOW better than a Humppila vase" (for e.g.) :?

I know all that stuff about the better known selling more easily - I have 100% positive feedback, the photos shown here are not like those on Ebay, I always give as concise but informative description as possible still people are not willing to take a chance on new names (to them) or slightly obscure objects

Actually I made my profit on these two items when I sold a Venini handkerchief vase (I bought a lot of 3) so I am not complaining too much

I am just a bit struck by such items (I have many more) which are all labelled and signed garnering little interest - I can take them to my local auction with all the info I have on them and make a good profit - people can see, feel and touch at a live auction - but I like eBay :P

I have website - I can build really good ones with hyperlinks and I know all the tricks with home made optimization, but I sell little from this as there are thousands out there selling same stuff as a living, with me it’s a side line

I maybe suffer from wanting not just to sell but to educate and within that I need to accept I am powerless over eBay

I do spell everything correctly with eBay listings, I don’t know how Humpilla (Humppila) got past me here (it's a hex) - would it matter on eBay when no one knows anyway (It is important on this board .. but in eBay land I see John Dishfield going for £200.00!)

One thing I see in this thread is that we all suffer from this 'go popular on eBay or don't sell at all' effect - I need a room full of Whitefriars, Troika and bothery Ltd edition Swarovski

1880s to 1920s German and American marbles sell well; I do have a lot of those!!

Anyway, what am I doing "Never mind all the advise on how to sell (I thank you and may have sold to you under name of Fonter56) - my original question was does anyone know anything more about these manufacturers or designers for when I do re-list?"

I will as always return the favour

Promise

btw - my photos are only 50 - 80kb JPEG - since I started to use my own web space to post, they blow up huge - it must be the FTP between my server and this one - I will try and fix maybe by using a file type with a high compression ratio :roll:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 07:45:57 AM »
Hi Adam,
There used to be a page on the Riihimäki Glass Museum site with a brief history of Humppila and Kumela. Unfortunately, it's been deleted. However, a bit I've gathered together about Humppila (from this and a few other sources).

[*]Founded 1952 by Jonni, Martti(??) and Olavi Helander, brothers who had previously worked at Nuutajärvi as glassblowers. The works produced both 'art glass' and household wares. You occasionally see items signed 'Helander'. At this time some of the 'art glass' produced was Gunnel Nyman type controlled bubble items - I believe Helander brothers had made the originals when at Nuutajärvi.
[*]Sold in a forced auction 1970 (there had been financial problems). New owner Rolf Alander.
[*]1976 Humppila buys the Kumela glassworks from the Kumela family (Blomqvist had designed for Kumela). Kumela continued to produce glass by blowing and lead crystal, while the Humppila works concentrated on centrifugal casting and more mechanical means of production.
[*]1986 Sold to Wärtsilä, owners of Nuutäjarvi. Subsequently, though the various takeovers/mergers, part of Iittala Oy Ab. Factory still exists, as part of Iittala.

There is also this site with some info on Blomqvist/Humppila, including other Humppila designers http://koti.mbnet.fi/jost/lasi.htm. If you find out anything else, I'd be interested to know.

robbo
robbo

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »
Robbo

You are the sanity amongst all the madness

Thanks for the info - will explore

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 11:55:55 PM »
Adam D555,

Console yourself with this, what you know is more than most, and you are therefore way ahead of the market, the buyers merely have to catch up.

I know that one, and soon Millers will be asking for advice. No, I'm not taking the mickey, it happens.

By the way, both the glass, and your images are good.

Thanks for the info, all of you.

Respectfully,

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand