No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase - ID = Riihimäen Lasi, design Rengas, by Tamara Aladin  (Read 3427 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Vase - ID = Riihimäen Lasi, design Rengas, by Tamara Aladin
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
Hi,
This is a vase I purchased on the weekend convinced that it was of Czech origen but now I can't find it anywhere, books, the far reaching Web - nothing. It seems to tick all the boxes down to the typical recessed base.
Help again please. ::)
Much obliged as always,
Bryn

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: It has to be, surely.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »
Reminds me of Bengt Edenfalk designs for Skruf, very nice.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
Reminds me of Bengt Edenfalk designs for Skruf, very nice.

I know what you mean but all the Edenfalk/Skruf pieces I've owned (3) were clearly signed...

Bryn, could we see a photo of the base please?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »
I have also had unsigned Skruf, unsigned P&P and unsigned Oberglas with similar designs, so yes please, the underside.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
I have also had unsigned Skruf, unsigned P&P and unsigned Oberglas with similar designs, so yes please, the underside.

Let's hope, for Bryn, that it's a piece of unsigned Skruf rather than Oberglas ...

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »
Hi,
I think I've done a oops ::). It's pressed glass. I didn't notice the seam before because I was so convinced it was Czech. What a prat!
Anyway here are the photo's of base and top.
Sorry!
Bryn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
It's highly likely that it would be pressed if it was Czech! The recessed base, although not necessarily indicative of Czech glass (and vice versa), is indicative of pressed glass and the Czech pressed glass industry was huge.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:04:14 PM »
Smoke & Ice page 80 shows an octagonal bowl unsigned, with a similar concentric circle design attributed to Edenfalk which would have been made using a mould.
I did see an item just like Bryn's sell on ebay (probably last year) described as Edenfalk (must have been skint at the time) but I do not remember if it was signed or not so unless the buyer pops up this is not much help.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the extra and intriguing info GO, and the same for everyone else who has contributed.  :thup:

Bryn

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »
Smoke & Ice page 80 shows an octagonal bowl unsigned, with a similar concentric circle design attributed to Edenfalk which would have been made using a mould.
I did see an item just like Bryn's sell on ebay (probably last year) described as Edenfalk (must have been skint at the time) but I do not remember if it was signed or not so unless the buyer pops up this is not much help.

It is very similar you're right - only difference I can see is that the circles on Bryn's vase have one more concentric circle around them compared to the bowl in Smoke & Ice.  With regard to the eBay auction - unless the seller is a well known seller, or someone from this board or unless the item itself was marked or stickered then I personally won't give too much credence to the attributions on eBay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand