No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looks like Strathearn or Vasart but is ???? Help ID!!!  (Read 1155 times)

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
Looks like Strathearn or Vasart but is ???? Help ID!!!
« on: March 16, 2009, 11:33:30 PM »
We have talk about so much about this item as early Strathaern or late Vasart:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330307506918&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:DE:1123
I have discribed it as possible perthshire.........??!
Nobody have estimate that.
Now  I have found this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190293711819&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:DE:1123
Both of the items look very similar.
And now???
Regards

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Looks like Strathearn or Vasart but is ???? Help ID!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:20:18 AM »
Mod: Lothar's message above was originally included in the recent thread, "Please help ID.". I have removed that earlier version from that thread and left this new one as a separate discussion because it can more easily be discussed here outside of the problem Lothar had raised in the earlier thread.

At some stage, I may try to gather together all GMB discussions on the problem of identifying late Vasart / early Strathearn / early Perthshire weights (which can so often look very similar) and build one reference thread.

In the meantime, I will very soon take off my moderator hat and add a discussion comment or two.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 02:37:02 AM »
It is often difficult to separate some of the Vasart / Strathearn / Perthshire Paperweights items, and there have been a few past threads of a similar nature, for example:
Nice weight - Perthshire, no probably Strathearn?
Blue 12 spoke 1-1-2-2
Akthough the eBay listing referred to in the first of those two threads no longer exists, the discussion is still ok and outlines valid points.

Regarding the latest eBay listing that Lothar has linked to, that weight has the typical 1-1-2-2 pattern of Perthshire Paperweights PP1/2/6 designs (counting the canes between the spokes from the centre to the outer edge). Lothar's own weight has a 2-2-3 pattern, and that is a design that I cannot see in the book The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights. It is also a design pattern that I do not recall seeing in a weight with a Perthshire Paperweights label - but I have not seen enough of those to say that it cannot be possible.

Taking the evidence together - including all the comments in Lothar's "Please help ID." thread - I remain of the opinion that Lothar's weight is not a Perthshire Paperweights item.
KevinH

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:50:48 AM »
Thanks Kevin!
Slowly I begin to understand!
Regards.
Lothar

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Strathearn

I have a very similar labelled example. Same coloured base.

That said, the designs for Vasart, then Strathearn and then early Perthshire seem inter-changable. From a distance it does looks like an early PP1 though!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand